1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

800 ft of bed edging...your estimate please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, May 4, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I asked a similar question couple of months ago and only got a few replies. I usually just go by how many hours it will take me with the power bed edger....but based on what I've seen other guys charging, I think I'm undercharging. I get alot of referrals on this work because I do very nice edges. I think one of you told me you use 50 cents per foot plus hauling away debris if necessary..I dont need to do that with the power bed edger....would appreciate any other formulas you guys use for this type of work ...thanks much
  2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

From the way I read your post, you seem to already be doing the work with this machine. You should have a pretty good idea how long it will take you to drive to the property, unload, do your work, and load up (based on past jobs).

Use this to figure what this is in hours and multiply that by your minimum. I am assuming that you keep records of how long these things take, so you have averages to use for quoting work. Nobody on this board can tell you better. They probably don't know your market, and they don't know your overhead.
  3. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

Price of the edger plus 60-75 cents per foot, in the neighborhood of 500.00. If you think the customer will pay that much. Look at what they drive and where they live and charge accordingly. If your getting referral business the price goes up anyway.

Don't know about you but I get tired of hearing your overhead, your market, your this, your that. All that was asked was your estimate use your area your market. Give me a price or move on with out comment.

Now that that's off my chest, this was not directed at any particular member, I evaluate every piece of info I read and use the good and remember to not use the bad. I have llearned alot here.
  4. Raven

Raven LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I do all of my edging by hand. 90% of the time the bed edges only need cleaned up from the previous season and I charge 30 cents per foot. I maintain my bed edging at a 4" depth. 150 feet per hour is my average rate on these.

If I take on a new account and the beds are not shaped right or need to be taken down to the 4" depth, I'll get out the Bedmaster to reshape. Then I finish them by hand. I charge 50 cents per foot for these. I average between 80-90 feet an hour doing them this way.
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

LawnPro thanks for saying what I think often on this site when a pointed question is asked and we get alot of info but not the answer to the question. I do agree we need to know our costs. Personally I keep painfully detailed records in the truck after each job...machine time, labor time, problems,etc.

Back to the edging formula...what I was trying to get at is that putting in professional looking edges takes a bit more experience than waking behind a mower and firing up the trimmer...uh oh...I can see I touched some hot buttons with that comment...so be it. Had a guy call me this weekend and asked me to look at a $2400 job he's not happy with. 1000 ft of clean up edging, 15 yrds of installed mulch, and the relocation of 2, 5 ft pine trees.....a little steep on the price I would say. They hand kicked the edges.....looks like the guys were drunk or stupid or both...terrible job...and this was one of our more 'reputable' and larger locs in the area. Told mr customer I will clean up the edges or that he should call them back and tell them to do it right.

I'm babbling ...point is, I know what i need to make per hour to cover bus costs, profit and salary....so why should I charge someone a much lower price for this work because I'm very efficient at it and do it better than most??? I'm struggling here to make my point clear and I'm not sure I have...maybe a couple of you will understand what I'm trying to get at...thanks
  6. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

We Charge .50 cents a foot for edging with our bedmaster.
  7. $300 in my area would be good money. But I would probably bid
    $275 to make sure I got the job.
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I charge $35 each half hour with a one hour minimum.
  9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Some of you guys absolutely kill me. How much do I charge for this or for that? Charge whatever you want to charge and as much as you think you can get.

I want about $40 to $60 an hour or I go somewhere else. If I expect a job to take me 45 minutes, or .75 hours. $40 x .75 is $30, and $60 x .75 is $45. If I'm doing something manual, it's toward the lower number, something involving the use of, say a bed edger, would be closer to the larger one.

I can't understand why it is that you need somebody here to tell you what to charge. How long will a job take? That I understand, until you do it a few times and know how long it takes you to do it. If you already know that, figure it out!
  10. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

I just reshaped 240 linear ft of existing beds with a brown bed edger. It took about 45 min (first time ever using) with the Brown (which is actually red in color.. wonder why that is) and got $100 for the edging with a $40 rental fee for the Brown. I went strictly with time (1 hour) and rental fee.

Hope this helps.