1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

800 numbers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lech615, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

Is having an 800 number for the biz helpful, hurtful, or does not matter either way?

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want one?? Isn't most of your work local?? You would also have to pay for incoming calls w/ an 800 number. Unless you have a larger company w/ satellite offices handling many counties .... it ain't worth it!!!
  3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Turfdude is probably right, IMO.
    If you're not doing work in markets outside your own, it'll just be an expense with no payback.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I can see TurfDudes point but I also know of a few contractors in our area who service 3 plus counties and they all kept their local numbers.

I talked with one of them past fall and he said that if people are interested in his services that they will have to spend much more than the inital cost of the call. He sort of uses this as a pre-screening process.

5. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

having an 800 # is not any more $$$ than a regular #. Thanks for the advice.
  6. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it is Lech615. You are billed for each incoming call. Plus, you get a lot of incoming wrong numbers with an 800 number and the sponsoring phone company is pretty unforgiving with the wrong numbers.
    I had one for a short while mostly for the benefit of my long distance family and friends, and found it to be way too much of a hastle.
  7. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, it seems rather pointless, wouldn't need to work an area that is long distance. I say just keep a local number.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Who ever told you that??? You better do a little research, and contact your local Ameritech or whoever handles your area, because I think your in for a big surprise. If it was no more, don't you think EVERYone would just get one, so they can just have people call THEM?
  9. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

My 800 # usually adds about 50-80 bucks a month on top of my phone bill. It is .07 a min, billed in 1 minute increments and is 4.95 per month for the usage fee. It is a dial over type, meaning it actually dials in on one of our local lines. This line is set up as incoming only. I am stopping the 800 # next year. In replacement I am going to get #'s that are area code and prefix specific (i.e. 815-338-****). With in an hour of my house there are 7 area codes. 3 of which are with in 20 min. These three I will have set up with dial over #'s, probably 2 each, that make my # look local to anyone who calls. I will use the area code and prefix, of the two largest towns per area code , and advertise with these #'s in the respective areas. I have noticed that when people call the 800 # one of the first questions is, where are you located. On our local # I have never been asked that. People seem to like the fact that I am local, and I seem to do more business locally. This will hopefully help next year with future clientele.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Dochere is right 10 digit dialing is here and only going to get worst. 800 number are about taken up 877-888-866-etc are getting full also. Area codes keep changing. But it does depend on your market. Get a number now and avoid the rush.