(800) #s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ground Effects, Feb 21, 2000.

1. Ground Effects

Ground Effects LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about running a separate phone line, but I'm debating on if I should buy into an 800#. I figure it will look a little better in the yellow pages, and be a free call to potential customers. Not to mention I plan on moving in the near future,so that causes a little problem with advertising in the phone book.<br> P.S.- Any advice or ideas would be really nice THANKS AGAIN!

2. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

We are located on the massuchusetts and connecticut border, so we use an 800# for this reason, I would say there are no downsides except for a larger phone bill, but it pays for itself with jobs we wouldn't get if we didn't have it. Tom

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

If your customer base is outside your local calling area, it makes sense.<p>There were a few guys who had one here locally. They all seem to go out of business. 800 numbers have a negative connotation in that when you call them, you don't get personalized service.<p>IMO

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

If you are considering a toll free number, try www.ureach.com. They will give you a FREE toll free number. If you upgrade (which is also free) then you get your own personal 1-800 number with no extension. You can point then number in any direction; your business line for instance. And you get something like 60 minutes of free usage per month. After that it costs a little bit but it's super cheap. I've never gone over the free minutes. It's a good way to check out a toll free number with no risk and no cost. <p>Jim <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

5. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

One thing to think about, Will you attract calls from outside your service area? THese calls will count on your bill,and also waste your valuable time.<p>Is your service area that big that your customers/potential customers are making a toll call to talk to you? If this is the case, would those dollars spent on the 800# be better spent attracting customers that are closer to you?<p>All my customers are within a local call for me. An 800 # would be nice, IF your customers are making a toll call to talk to you.<br>