8000 sq ft flower bed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CLC03, Oct 17, 2006.

1. CLC03

CLC03 LawnSite Member

I was asked to give an estimate for weed control on 8000 sq ft of flower beds. The customer asked that the weeds be pulled weekly and flowers pruned after they have bloomed. They also wanted me to do a fall cleanup. I am planning on liberally spreading a pre-emergent(snapshot, treflan, or trifluralin) in the spring and early summer so I do not have to pull many weeds. Which pre-emergent is the best? Those of you with experience, what can I expect? What is a ball park figure for this bid? Is it worth the hassle?

2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Snapshot is good pre-emergent for both grassy and broadleaf weeds. A liberal application is going to cost you $65-75 for materials. You probably need 2 applications per season for good control. I hope the beds are mulched, because that helps keep the weeds down, too.

How much time is it going to take to scout the beds for weeds each visit? The weeds shouldn't be too bad if you're pulling as needed weekly.

Are you going to be on site weekly anyway, mowing etc.? Special trips cost more.....

3. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

1st, you need to know what flowers are in this bed and if the product labels alow for applications to them. We use snapshot quite a bit, but can't use it everywhere.

4. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Man is that true!! We use Snapshot every year, you better be able to correctly identify the plantings cause it sure will smoke some perennials.

5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a mixture of pendulm 3.3ec and gallary and it covers/controls very well. their are several plants that won't handle the gallary. snap shot is great, but it will discolor/kill cool season turf if you miss the bed.