81 Acre mowing help

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by JUMBO31, Jun 4, 2010.

1. JUMBO31

JUMBO31 LawnSite Member

I am trying to bid a 81 acre mowing job. This is my first time to give a price on something this big. Can anyone here give me some help with this. It is easy mowing with about 3' deep grass. I normally charge 55-95 dollars per acre, but with this large job I'm not sure where to start. Any help with be helpful!!

2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Need more information, what size tractor, grooming,flail or rotary cutter, what size mower,etc.

3. JUMBO31

JUMBO31 LawnSite Member

90 horse with 15' mower. Will be just rough cut.

4. alanauer

alanauer LawnSite Member

Still more info would help.

What kind of 15' mower? How wide is each section, and how level is the ground?

A one-time or a recurring job? If recurring, do they want subsequent cuts from 12" down to 6", or from 3' down to 3"?

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Start with how many acres you can cut per hour, figure out how much diesel you will burn then figure $50. per hour + fuel and see where you stand. Thats on the cheap side for the northeast, but it will give you a start.

6. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

What is like a toro ground master your using or is it a pull behind
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

It costs me somewhere between $75-80(paying myself $18/hr) to run my tractor and 15' brush hog. I can get anywhere from 6-10 ac/hr. As long as the field is smooth enough to run 5.0-5.5mph, you should be able to make 8 ac/hr so Depending on how much you want to make on to of you labor wage anywhere north of $750 would be good.

Good formula for acres per hour: Speed(MPH)*Width(FT)/8.25*Field Efficiency
    Depending on field shape, brush hogging can be anywhere from 80-95%