84 acres how to bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wrestlingcoach, Jul 28, 2004.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

I may be able to bid 84 acres - mainly flat: a park & retention ponds

mow every 2 weeks

any ideas on how much???

2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Whats your hourly rate for 1 acre?? xby 84:D

3. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

what are u plan on using to mow that land?
    Is it a government property?
    Way I heard from others, gov. likes it cheap but good quality. Go figure.
    Anyway down here in TX, its about $60 - $75. But since they've got so much acres I would give them a break.

4. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would figure it this way for myself. I can mow 4 acres per hour on my ZTR, thus 21 hrs (say 25) mowing time with 1 person, 1 machine. Commericial properties I try to make $100-$120 per hr, so with trimming and misc. stuff, 30 man hours is about right, times $120/hr, so $3600 per cut? But if it's just every two weeks, figure a little higher because that's slower mowing and harder on equipment

5. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

How many acres is grass? You mentioned retaining ponds. Find out how many acres to be mowed, how many acres can you mow per hour, how many hours of trim? Then mowing hours plus trim hours times hourly rate. Then add 15-20% for extra height from alternating week mowing. Thats what I would do hope it helps.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You need to include some specific info for us to give you any help regarding this project IMO.

7. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

It is 84 acres that don't have to go out and bid on,drive to,and one person to bill.I would definity cut the biddie some slack.Not everyday you can get a nice deal like this.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

that'll chew up 2-3 days of man hours every 2 weeks. what do you do on those 2-3 days when you're not mowing that account? it may be a nice chunk of change, but trimming around retention ponds doesn't sound like fun, nor does stayin at one job for 2-3 days of mowin. i'm not sure you could pay me enough to do that job. ($4500-5000 might have a nice ring to it though)

9. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Or you could look at the city or who ever the property is owned by and say they hire 2 guys at $8.00 per hour plus employee expenses of $2.00 per hour that's $10.00 per hour at 2080 hours per year for 40 hours a week. Then you add about $15,000.00 in equipment per year (which is really high) throw in another $5,000.00 in misc that brings you up to $61,600.00 per year. Now divide that by 26 cuts and you have $2369.23 per cut. Now that's if they take 40 hours per week to cut it. Not realistic. They probably will only take 25 hours every other week to do the job. That leaves the City or whoever with 55 hours in a two week period to do other things with your "replacements". Thats 1430hrs per year not on that job, or $28,600.0 not billable to that job. Now we have $1269.23 per cut.

Just a thought. I might be over analyzing

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Every other week what’s the end product suppose to look like? If its going to be finish work with 2 weeks of growth between cuts you can count on double cutting or you can count on tons of clumps. With that in mind I would want 40 an acre I do not offer hack work and in the end if it’s my name on the lawn it’s going to look the best it can.