85 ford f250 6.9 liter diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TandM, May 5, 2008.

1. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

alright my friend has one of these sitting at his house has not run in a few years. they kind of parked it on the farm and never got around to using it because they bought a new truck. Are the 6.9s good engines I am going with him to try to get her running this upcoming weekend. What tools will I need to get it going parts? I was thinking a crescent tool set that i have and A battery what else is needed to get an old diesel running?

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm no diesel expert, but besides a good battery you'll want to change oil, oil filter, fuel filter and coolant. There's a good chance there will be water in either the fuel lines or tank, and you don't want that in there. You'll have to get all the air and water out of the fuel system up to the injectors or it won't run.

3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

thankyou do I need to drain the tank and how to do this?

4. thecollector

thecollector LawnSite Member

You will need 2 batterys. The Ford's are a 24 volt Electrical starting system, and short of having two fresh 750CCA batterys or another diesel to jump from you won't have a chance. Try a can of ether starting fluid for a little help, just don't drown it you can hyrdolock a diesel very easily with the higher compression ratio. You can check the glowplugs with a test light. Hook the clamp end to the positive battery terminal and the probe tip on the end of the plug while it is still installed in the head. The light should illuminate indicating the the glowplug isn't damaged. If replacement is neccessary be carefull with the older diesels when removing glowplugs, they can break off easily after sitting for long stints. A can of PB Blast or other penetrating oil goes a long way. Sounds like a good project, good luck.

5. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

do not do that if the truck has glow plugs you can screw up the plugs or start a fire.

6. stewmick

stewmick LawnSite Member

The 6.9 liter diesel is a great engine. I have owned one for over 12 years. I decided to do a rebuild at 300,000 miles for minor loss of engine compression. The owner of a machine shop laughed at me when I brought the engine block in for work for doing a rebuild so early. He said it really only needed minor work and new rings. After the rebuild everything works GREAT. Just make sure you have 2 good strong batteries (Ford Diesel Engines are not 24 volts--only 12) and the glow plugs are working. If you must spray starting fluid, use a couple of squirts of good ole WD-40 this is not so explosive and helps to lubricate while starting. I have used this method multiple times in the past when I had problems with the glow plugs. If you need to replace the GPs make sure you use Ford's plugs. Also you can pick up a GP relay at AutoZone for around $15. The relay is located on the passenger side fender well. It should have a cap that says DO NOT JUMP START HERE. Tools you will need: Filter wrench to remove oil and fuel filter, basic srewdrivers, fuse puller (just in case), Good luck on your project.

7. SuperDuty335

SuperDuty335 LawnSite Member

I can almost guarantee the GP controller will NOT work. There is an easy solution, however. Replace the GP controller (mounted on the passenger side fender) with a standard starter solenoid (tell them it's for a 1980 F150 6 cylinder engine). The positive battery wire and the glow plug wires will bolt right back in place and the new solenoid will match the existing GP controller mounting holes. Mount and wire up a push button switch in a convenient place (under steering wheel) to trigger the solenoid. Activate the GPs for about 7 seconds by pressing the push button switch. I have this same system on both of my IDIs and those that I had in the past.

Ether is bad.:nono:

8. Riley Lawn Service

Riley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

is it 4x4 i no that has nothing to do with what your talking about but im just wondering?

9. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

A little squirt of ether wont hurt it. This is straight from my grandpa's brother, a service manager for an International dealership. The key is, a little squirt, and don't cycle the glow plugs before or right after you squirt it. That truck will be hard to get going, as somebody on here i think said one time about the old IDI's, and I have one and will agree, If you walk past one with an ice cream cone it won't want to start.