863 - Good or not? Help?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by IHI, May 25, 2007.

1. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

I need your help. One of the local guys has a 03 863 with 1350ish hours. It has cab/heat/ac. I test drove real quick and the only negative I noticed was when I filled the bucket up, it seemed a little light in the back end? Is this common for this machine? What should something like this be going for price wise?

For those of you that have one of these, have you been happy with it? I mainly will use for sod/etc... Any drawbacks to this machine? How many hours should I expect to get with out any problems.?

Thanks,
    IHI

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

863's were good machines. The deutz is reliable and powerful but 863's had some issues with seals leaking. Most were minor repairs. A Bobcat with 1300 hrs. is still relatively new if it has been maintained. I regularly trade or sell mine at about 1100 hrs. and other than scratches from the woods, they still look new inside and around the engine. Look for a clean engine and hydraulic compartment as a first clue that the machine has been maintained. Ask for service records too.
    I figure on about $10 per hour depreciation but that could be off in your area. A good 863g with good tires without cab and air could be worth about $15.5 and 19k.

The machine was only rated for 1900 lbs. but counterweights or solid tires or tracks will allow you to lift much heavier loads. In my opinion, the 863 dug better than any machine I had except the s220 which had a tad more power. I liked the 863 better, though, for digging it just stalled more than the 220.
    Like I said, the deutz is reliable and pretty easy to work on and maintain. the machine's lift arms are adequate and I think by 2003 Bobcat was gussetting the arms where earlier models had cracks. If not, the upgrade is real simple and it helps.

Good luck. You can make money with those machines.

3. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

YellowDog - Thanks for your input.
    Anyone else running one?

4. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

yes, its common with bobcats. they are not the strongest of skidsteers. i'd demo some other brands to compare.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you're joking...:dizzy:

6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

That's what I was thinkg. Power to weight ration is very good with Bobcat and as far as strong, well, my s300's lift things that JD320 backhoes struggle with not to mention my pushing power in dirt or piles of brush.

7. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

not really.
    IHI experienced it and so did i with 863 and 873 bobcats. they do get light in the back end. yes you can add counterweights, but why should you have to.
    i later bought a new holland ls190, and boy what a difference over the bobcat. also used a gehl 7800 for a bit, and that was a beast too.
    when compared to other brands, bobcat just can't match the strength of other brands, like a case 95 xt, gehl 7800, new holland ls190, etc.

8. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I guess to each his own. I recently was on a jobsite with my bobcat and the other guy had an ls190. He was tipping and stalling trying to pull the same log that I lifted and carried. My s300 is not that much more powerful than my 863 was.
    I tried CAT's B series large frame loaders too. Demo'd a 268b and 246b. Neither was as strong as my s250 or s300. But that's my opinion. To say Bobcat's aren't as strong as the others..that's a leap. You were comparing machines in different h.p. classes as though one size fits all.

9. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

i've never used a s300 before, but that seems hard to believe.
    big difference in numbers to me.

863 Rated Operating Capacity: 1900 lbs weight: 7180 lbs
    873 Rated Operating Capacity: 2300 lbs weight: 6885 lbs
    s300 Rated Operating Capacity: 3000 lbs weight 8448 lbs

and as for the new holland ls190,
    Operating Capacity 2,800 lb Operating Weight 7,860 lb

you can see why i feel the new holland is stronger than the 863 and 873 that i've had. i cant believe the 873 was so light.

10. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I'm not going to argue that the Bobcat is light, because compared to machines in its class (which the Ls190 or Lx985 is not), it is still around 500 to 1000 pounds lighter. However, I have two comments... the first is, the 873 got a weight boost later in its career, so actually weighed nearly 7,300 pounds before the S250 replaced it. Second, if you scale the ROCs, there is actually a higher machine weight to ROC ratio for the 873. (7,860 lbs / 2,800 = 2.87, where 6,885 lbs/ 2,300 lbs = 2.99.) This isn't to say that one is better, just that in reality, it's NH's machines that are pretty light as well.

Perception of power is a difficult term to quantify; engineers struggle daily with how to make a skid-steer "feel" powerful. What one customer feels is powerful may in fact just be lugging the engine excessively, but what another feels is power may be related more to traction than to power. Again, I'm not saying either side is right here -- just pointing out some things.