1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

89 Fsuperduty, which tranny?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by stroker51, Mar 4, 2008.

1. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

My 89 F Super Duty with a 7.3 IDI diesel has an auto tranny, I'm just not sure which one, E40D or AOD? Any year cut-offs one to the other or ear marks on the truck/tranny to look at? Never had an auto before, so i'm clueless as to how to tell em apart in these trucks, I know the complete switchover was somewhere near that time just not sure when. If they'da built this truck with a ZF-5:weightlifter: like it should have been I wouldnt have had to worry about it.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You might have a C6 tranny in that. Does it have overdrive or is it a 3 spd?

3. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

its a E40D

Sorry to here that... its an early model....expect a failure under heavy severe use....

i run a few older fords.... the C6 may only be a 3 speed buts its unstoppable

i just picked up a 460/ c6 4X4 dump for 500... thinking about making it a stick...i hate autos

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It has a E4OD the best move is have a built transmission made for the truck. The F-Superduty trucks haul more weight than they are rated for.

The real strange thing is almost 90% of the F-Superduty trucks from 88 to 97 sold in Canada had 5spds it was very rare you find a automatic. It is the complete opposite in the USA almost all F-Superduty trucks are automatics.

5. stroker51

Well, my VIN # starts with a 2, so this truck was even built in Canada. I don't know if I'm even gonna worry about a complete rebuild, i'm trying to sell the truck, and fill er back full of fluid, no smells, no slips, that guy who is looking at it is who I was hauling for when it puked out a bunch of fluid, prompting my question. I wish it was a C6, I've had 2 or 3 of those, you can't kill them.

6. Gravel Rat

You put a C-6 in a F-Superduty the engine would be screamin with the 5:13 gears in the diff :laugh:

You definatly need the overdrive.

7. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

You put a C-6 in a F-Superduty the engine would be screamin with the 5:13 gears in the diff

gravel.... are you sure that all the superdutys came with 5.13's... that dosn't sound right.... but i could be wrong

8. Gravel Rat

Pretty much all the "brick body" F-Superduty had 5:13s with the IDI. I had a 89 F-Superduty with the IDI and 5:13s the engine screamed. My truck had a 5spd. Using 4th gear was only good for climbing hills other than that in 4th the engine revved to 3000 doing 45 mph.

9. stroker51

I've always wondered whether mine has 5:13's or something higher. It doesn't seem to scream at all at 65 or 70, but it just seems to run out of power. I can't remember what my tach shows at 60, but I know it's not too far from my F250 PSD with 4:10's and a 5 speed. It's really too bad that it doesn't have the 5 speed, thats the main reason I'm getting rid of it, the IDI with an auto just isn't set up to pull or haul a load all day, at least not the kinda load that the Super duty/F450 will handle.