8hp Briggs Intec Pro OHV

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ealbertson, Nov 25, 2006.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 8hp Briggs Intec Pro OHV on a Peco Vac. The engine runs fine until it warms up. At this point, it starts cutting out like as if the governer is cutting in. It goes from wide open to almost off then takes off wide open again for about ten seconds then cuts out. It repeats this cycle. I know it's not the governor since I can hold the throttle at the carb. wide open and it does the same thing. I don't think it is a fuel problem because I can put the choke on as well and it continues. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

check for spark when it does this. either use an in-line tester or hook a timing light to it and see how it's firing. I'm leaning toward the coil but your discription kinda sounds like a main jet issue. you may dismantle the carb and blow it out, add fresh fuel. this may help eliminate the carb. i'm still on the fence on this one without further info.....

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm gonna lean toward a carb. problem as khouse said, If it were a coil problem it would be popping and skipping or just shut down completely not just raise and lower rpm's. Could be as simple as the gas cap vent plugged.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

How long does it run before doing this? Maybe a plugged vent in the fuel tank cap?

5. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

It usually takes somewhere around ten minutes to start doing this.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check your gas cap vent as I stated above, When it starts to falter loosen it quickly and see if it levels back out.