8HP Briggs only runs on full choke.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Just cranked up my little wonder blower for the first time since early spring. I started o.k. but will only run with the choke in the full closed position. Runs great with choke closed, but when I open it it stalls. Any suggestions? It was working perfectly fine when I put it away in March.

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

carb is dirty, pull it apart and clean it out. also make sure the air filter is clean!

simple fix.

in the future, use a product called "sea foam" it'll keep the gas stabilized and clean the carb.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

What CaptDevo said and also, it likely has a 2 peice FloJet carburetor, find the float bowl and at the bottom is a screw for high speed load adjustment. Sounds like you need to turn it (looking the head square on) to the left, to richen it, giving it more gas to air ratio. This could be the only problem or more likely, be a temporary fix to the real problem, as CaptDevo said. If something else is wrong (probably) then you will have to re-adjust this once you fix the real problem.
    Eric

4. Like said above

clean carb
    clean/replace air filter
    adjust fuel mixture

also add fuel stabilizer in off season-when equipment sits for more than 30 days.

I start my seasonal equipment such as aerator, dethatcher, 1X a month and run it for 5 minutes while servicing other equiment. Keeps it ready to go when needed.

5. allenandinga

allenandinga LawnSite Member

If your blower only runs on choke, the jets in the carb are definately stopped up. When you force it to run on choke, you are making it draw fuel from a route not normally intended. To correctly cure this problem, the carb should be removed, completely disassembled (usually don't need to take out the throttle and choke shaft), thoroughly cleaned (as well as the tank and fuel lines-RED POWER BY Production Car Care products works GREAT!!! (on the carb) and reassembled. If this is done correctly, you will have one pull starting once again (providing that nothing else is wrong w/your engine) w/o having to leave the choke on. It's recommened that this is performed by a qualified mechanic. Buying a new carb is much more expensive than having yours properly repaired. Carbs can be very easily destroyed if you don't know what you're doing. Fuel stabilizer works wonders during low usage times and its alot cheaper than having your carb cleaned.