8hp briggs puking oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thelawnguy, Mar 20, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Used my 8hp blower today, 8 hp B&S I/C, after an hour the engine was covered with oil, and I mean COVERED, seems to be coming from everywhere. Any suggestions on where to start looking will be appreciated. And yes, the breather hose is hooked up, thats the first thing I checked.<p>Bill

2. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

Most likely the head gasket is gone, the 8s are known for it. I had one go on a blower last fall.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Before you yank the head do a compression test. Test it once to get a baseline number and then pour a little oil in the cylinder and do it again. If the compression raises significantly (by 20% or more) then it has bad rings or stuck rings. You did winterize it before putting it away last year didn't you? A broken or cracked valve could also cause the engine to blow oil.

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you EDL for your help. I replaced the head gasket last Saturday and finally got to use the blower for an extended period today blowing wet grass. No more oil puking. Thanks again!<p>Bill<p>PS What a simple job, except for the starter housing bolts on the bottom, dont the blower mfrs think of these things???