8hp Briggs--stuck valve

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dfor, Nov 16, 2007.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

8hp Briggs and Stratton on a Little Wonder blower. About 8 yrs. old. Blew a cylinder head gasket. Took off the top head and saw that one of the valves is stuck. Not the exhaust valve, the other one.

I don't want to put much money into this thing, but is there a way to free it without taking the rest of the engine apart? Thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You can remove the valve/breather assembly pop the spring retainer loose then pull the valve out. Clean the stem with carb & choke spray cleaner and buff with fine steel wool, Spray a little catb cleaner in the guide and work the valve up and down. Clean everything up again and lightly coat the valve stem with engine oil and re-assemble.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I dont want to offend you but this statement makes me think you do not know much about engines. When you say stuck, do you mean as you rotate the engine it does not move up and down? Or do you mean when you removed the head you found that valve sticking up? Depending on where the engine stopped the valve could be up/open.

I just want to ask before you tear into the engine for no apparent reason...

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

No offense taken. No, I don't know alot about engines. Just the simple stuff. As I rotate the engine, it does not go up or down. Going any deeper than the cylinder head is most likely over my head.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Then I would suggest trying what Restrorob suggested. I just didnt want to see you take everything apart when maybe nothing was wrong...LOL