8x20 finally arrived today

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Callahan's Lawn Services, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Callahan's Lawn Services

Callahan's Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Well after smoking my head everyday working out of a 6x10, I finally broke down and ordered an 8x20 out of Georgia. The make is Diamond Cargo. I got a smoking hot deal and it seems very well built. Time will tell. So far I have painted the walls with Killz oil based primer and one coat of a gray latex exterior paint. I also did the same thing to the deck and on the ramp out back I put a thick wet coat of gray and sprinkled some sand in it for traction. The setup of the trailer will take a few weeks to get everything like I want it and with my storage area built in the V up front. I told the wife that I need more equipment to fill it up now! Does anyone have any input on longevity of putting the sand on the actual deck of the trailer? I kinda like the smooth look without it. I will be posting pics of the entire build when I get it finished up.

2. DoubleClutch

DoubleClutch LawnSite Member

Sand works ok but over time wears away. I would look into a covering for traction when the rear ramp is wet. I have a buddy that put this in his trailer. It for garage or shop floors but works great in his trailer. He cut it to fit and when he goes to clean the trailer it pulls right out. No seems cause its one big piece.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200367125_200367125

3. Callahan's Lawn Services

That's pretty slick, it looks good and heavy also. I've already got the entire interior primed and painted. I just used the sand trick bc this is what we use to do in the decks of our offshore supply boats I worked on. I know it will wear away gradually but its just so cheap that I could touch it up when needed.

4. DoubleClutch

DoubleClutch LawnSite Member

Thats my next move is to get a enclosed and just use my open trailer for mulch and such. I am looking for a 16 or 18 foot cause I will be also using it to haul motorcycles and atv's.

5. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

That's an extreme upgrade going from a 10' to a 20'. Years ago we went from an 8', to a 12', to a 16" enclosed for maintenance. Hopefully you have a decent HD truck to pull that trailer.

6. Callahan's Lawn Services

06' Super Duty Lariat 4x4, it actaully oulls better than the dang ole 6x10. Electric brakes are effin awesome! Added advantage is I don't come home with bloody spots in my noggin from the roof. Haha

7. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

I got the same trailer. 8.5 x 20 v nose from diamond cargo. I upgraded the axles and a few other things, and put a ramp on the side toward the front for my walker. First thing I did is put shelves in the front and then used the cheap hooks from Home depot to hang trimmers.

8. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Precision,do you mean that you had the trailer company make a ramp on the curb side of the trailer where the V is? Ifso,would love to see pics of that.

9. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

any pictures of your trailer?

10. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

The ramp is not in the v nose, though that was an option. You would have to park at an angle in order to unload, so I just had the ramp installed about 2 feet from the front. It is a big time saver to be able to unload any mower without having to take all of them off. I also had a side door installed on the drivers side for fueling purposes.

image-29.jpg

image-30.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013