9.73 miles of trimming - ideas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Jul 24, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

OK, we've got the school contract here. All of the buildings are red brick with a ruff face. They will not allow roundup along the building. All total the footage of all buildings comes to 9.73 miles. Short of walking with a string trimmer does anyone else have ideas to speed this process up? The ruff brick also eats trimmer line (.105) really fast. About 8 times faster then normal.

Has anyone seen or tried those trimmers that attached to Z's? Other ideas?

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Couple things come to mind

1. How about those steam systems to control the grass near the building

2. I recall a piece of equipment that the operator kneeled on, and drove with foot pedals, while weedwacking.

3. I also recall that hustler had a string trimmer attachement for its mowers.

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I had demo'd one of those riders that you kneel on. Won't help. I haven't heard about the steam system. Do you have more info?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They need to be educated and taght about the use of a soil sterilant. If applied properly, and at the right time, no harm can actually come from it. You won't even see it from the distance, anyway. If they are concerned about appearance, don't do in front of the main entrances, administration buildings, etc.. If they are concerned about safety, if the product(s) are labeled for it, and they have the proper notifications set up, then you are alright. The only other solution would be mechanical means. That would be scapling it down to the ground when possible. The steam would be interesting, but at what cost? Burning would be another option. Other than that, ten miles of trimming? THAT ain't happening!

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

instead of round up death, how about growth regulator, short but still green.

6. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

If the price is there, straight labor could get the job done. I'd say 8 guys. We edged over 2 miles of curb this summer, had lots of help and built it into the price.

I'm sure they don't want chemical as a safety issue.

7. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Coastal, let me start off by saying I respect you and it seems you are pretty much on top of things with your business. However, whats the big deal about just trimming it with a string trimmer? I mean if you bid the property correctly, the extreem amount of trimming should have been reflected in your price.

I realize you are trying to be more efficient and I would also look for other options if it was me but sometimes there are no options. The only thing I can think of is put 2 guys on it and get-r-done.

8. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

an idea just an idea but you could have something like a golf cart where you have a driver and someone sittin in the back hanging off the edge trimming. if its all accesible by a golf cart i think it would work i have seen guys do stuff like that around here but not trimming if they have large commercial accounts and need to blow a large area off i seen one guy drive and one hang off the edge blowing and i seen guys do that with spraying lawns all of which i have never seen or heard of before till i saw those guys doing it and i would guess it would work i couldn't see why it wouldn't work with trimming either

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

8PM walk around with a regulator, no charge. no invoice, no evidence & a good alibi
    I hear deck sealer works effectively

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Walker edger they are real proud of it and it is made for exactly what you are doing. It is a Coulter attachment that mounts on their units.