9 HP briggs won't stay running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by steveair, Aug 9, 2001.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

I just picked up a coleman generator with a 9hp B&S vanguard and want to know if you may have any advice.

The engine starts right up, runs fine for about 2 minutes, then just dies. If you play with the choke a little, you can keep it running for a while, but eventually it dies and then will not start at all.

I think its a fuel problem of some sort, but not sure what. It had a brand new carb put on last year, ran excellent for a while, but then had the same problem again.

Also, it appears gas slowly drips somewhere out of the carb, but not sure where.

I got the generator for free, so just want to see if I can't fix it up and get some use out of it.

I know one of the problems is that it sits for a long time between uses, and I'm sure the carb is mucked up again.

Any advice appreciated.

steveair

2. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

One quick thing to check is the valve clearances and the rocker
    arm studs for looseness. I have seen problems with Vanguards
    in this area.
    Fish

3. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Check all gas filters, the gas cap, clean the carb, and put in a rebuild kit. This should fix it--for less than $20. Also, be sure there isn't any gas in the crankcase from the needle not seating well, we ruined an engine this way!

4. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Also check the shrouding for rats' nests, they can cause your engine to overheat, yep, had that happen too!

5. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

you might want to check the fuel line for cracks or holes.