90 acres in three days!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, May 21, 2006.

1. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We finished up at 9:00 last night. Three days, sun up to sun set! Spraying liquid barricade on a huge national cemetery on cape cod! We used 18 gallons of diesel fuel in the tractor, thats with the rear pto & the cab ac running the whole time. So, to all you pros, how did i do time wise, keeping in mind the job was 60 miles from my shop.

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

How were you applying? A boom that was sized to fit between the stones?

3. lawn king

No stones, all small granite plaques, drive right over everything.

4. aDreamSoReal

aDreamSoReal LawnSite Member

Wow! That's a lot of lawn! Post a pic of your tractor.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Nice, we did 35 once with a pg and z-max with 2 men in 12 hours. But we were bushed at the end of it.

6. lawn king

The person who subcontracted this job to us, sprayed the place with trimec 992 a couple of weeks ago. He sprayed the whole 90 acres on a pg, said he could barely walk when done. After spraying it with the tractor, i really dont know how the poor guy did it, he was not telling stories as the weeds throughout the cemetery were curling up!

7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I probably could have done the job in a good day or a day an half. I have a 40 acre job that If I get started by 7:00, I am done by noon. I run a 25 foot boom at 5.5 mph. I keep my gallons down to 5/acre, so I do not have to refill so often.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd have done it in a day & a half as well.

9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

well, he does have a travel time of at least an hour each way and not sure about how much water has to go down with barricade right off the top of my head, but with most pre-emergents, you are looking at fert like rates to move it in, so factor in the jostling over headstones, avoiding the daily traffic of people in the cemetery, refilling often and hopefully a decent sized tank and boom, 2-2.5 8 hour days would not be unusual for that type of property. So ran a little long on manhours, but that also depends on tank size, refill method and boom width you were using.

10. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

No offense Grandview but I gotta call bull**** on that one:confused: . You cannot put down a Pre-E at 5 gallons water per acre. Moving at 5.5mph 14.5 ounces per/1000 actual carrier is not enough carrier for proper soil contact. I'd say 3 days 30 acres a day around a cemetery was very productive.

Big question did you make money when it was over?