1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

90% of Bssiness Cards get tossed, or 98% ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mdvaden, Feb 21, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

While checking out business card sites tonight, I came across some articles similar to what I've read over the past few years. They writers mentioned that 90% of business cards get thrown away.

The same writers suggest going with good quality cards to help avoid that kind of advertising loss.

Based on the content of these kind of articles, if 90% of "all" business cards get thrown away, then its logical that even a greater percentage of cheap business cards would be tossed out.

If what they say is right, and it does make sense, maybe business owners should avoid econonmy and budget business cards if at all possible.

How many people feel that a business card is an important representation of their company, even as small as it is?
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I think it is very important to have a nice card. When someone hands me some home-grown card or the equivalent, it makes them appear un-professional, to me. Plus, even nice cards are so cheap that it is ******** not to go this route.
  3. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

With lawn mowing, I haven't had a business card since about 1985. For me, as a solo operator, I simply did not have a need for them, usually because I was always loaded up with all the business I could handle.

I do have a travel services firm specializing in Saint Petersburg, Russia. And when I hand out one of those business cards, it does get a reaction of surprise. It has a graphic of the city that seems to impress people. Yet those cards have not been a significant factor in seizing new business.

With grass cutting, from time to time people have suddenly approached and asked me for my (lawn cutting) business card - like they just wanted to take it and run. I then ask them if they are looking for a grass cutter. If they say yes, then I ask them if they are looking for regular weekly service. If they say yes again, then I ask where the property is located. And then I tell them once I finish my work at this particular lawn or group of lawns, then I will stop by to check-out the property. And I simply don't give them a card.

Then I check out the property. If I like it and I want it, then I sell them on me. I usually succeed in closing the deal, and the business card never really becomes important.

However, if I were brand new, then it could be good to give new customers extra business cards and ask them to refer you.

A better promotional tool instead of a business card I think would be a good color 6" x 4 and 1/4" postcard that plugs your business. It is still small, yet has more ability to highlight the benefits of hiring you.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have contemplated this for quite a while. I buy the cheapest business cards I can find within spec. I would say 90-95% is right however it always amazes me some one pulling out a card I left over 2 years ago.
    Now those that toss my card will probably never use my services but if they do at least my name will have passed through their grasp and maybe they will look in the phone book and recognize my name.
    I have been hit up for the linticular cards ( the ones that change whats on them as you move it) and the ones I have seen get tossed just as quick or at least handed to the kids to mangle.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I was at a seminar the other day and some guy gave me a few cards and told me about the referral kickback. Blah,blah. I don't do referrals unless I know and trust the company. You can be sued for a bad referral. Anyhoo, I believe a card should be on the austere side. Looks are important, but if you show up and look excessively flashy, I'm going to think your price is too high and my potential customers will probably think the same way.
  6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

If I have someone do work for me and I really like the result I ask them for a few business cards. I then pass on a card to a friend who asked for a referral. The quality of the card doesn't really come into play in this scenario. For myself I prefer to have a better quality card because it doesn't cost that much more and I like the feel of the card in my hand.
  7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats why you don't just rely on Business cards alone for advertising. I place ads in the paper and get a lot of work that way and by way of mouth there are a few I get from handing out my Cards but I focus more on ads in the paper because you get your name out to a huge volume of people and I use the Business cards as a backup when I go out somewhere and might run into a potential customer then I hand out my card