1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

9020b

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ksss, Sep 17, 2006.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a CASE 9020B (160 size) on Friday. It is a 99 with about 7K hours, mech. thumb. It is not the Blade Runner I wanted to buy, but for 20K I couldn't pass it up. It is in good shape for the hours. The CASE dealer brought it in on trade and allowed me to buy it for what they gave for it. I thought that was mighty nice of them. I'll get some pictures of it. I'll spend almost as much on getting a tag trailer to haul it, as I paid for the excavator itself.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Your 5500 can tow a 160 sized machine?

Cool purchase, I've only ran the case mini's, but I really like them.

How do you feel about purchasing a machine with 7k on the clock? Even for 20k?

3. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Im assuming the previous owner took good care of it if you say its in good shape, how is the undercairage?

even if he only puts another 3,000 hours on it, which he should be able to do (i dont know how it was maintained or what work has been done to it) that works out to $360,000 gross at $120 an hour. for 20K you cant really go wrong!

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

If it was me and I had some jobs lined up that could utilize that machine.....I would have bought it in a heart beat. The ROI and the prospect of keeping busy through the winter with a bigger machine was/is a smart move.....especially for the price.
    There is a hidden kernal (lesson) here from a guy who has survived in this business over time. I'm sure he could have gone out and bought a new machine but at this point, the math did not justify the risk/reward. Newbies ought to take note from a seasoned veteran who lives in the cold country and has to make a years worth of wages before the ground freezes.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

For some reasion, I was thinking it would have a backfill blade.

The United Rentals here has one, the local road company has it out all the time, there's been many times I've been stopped by a flagger watching it dig heh.

I've wondered if the slight tippyness I've felt in the smaller case excavators carries over to the large ones, though the small ones were ZTR.

6. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

i never knew the 9020 was made with a backfill blade as an option,i'll have to look out for one now.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Dude for $20K, that's a steal. Iron is going for SO much around here anymore. Morons asking $40K for a '94 Hitachi 120 with 5,000 hours. Good purchase Kaiser!

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Wow thats a smoking deal! Wish it fell in my lap!!

How many hours are most excavators good for before they start running your wallet dry. In the next year or two i want to start breaking into excavating and i'd rather spend 30-40k on a used 120 to get me started, than dump 140k on a new one.

Matt

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I wish my 5500 could pull it. Actually I think it could as long as DOT would leave me alone which they wouldn't. I am going to put it behind my dump truck. It my need some work but I have some equity in it that justify putting money into if I need to. I have a large job coming up shortly that will go for about a year and half and half dozen foundations to dig this year yet. So if it can get through the rest of this year I can work on it this winter. The paint and sheet metal are real good. I know the guys who had since new and they take care of their stuff. As far as having something with 7K on it, yea I am really not used to that but I really can't justify laying out big money for a newer machine considering where I am at in this larger excavation market so this one will have to work.

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

so KSSS,
    If I bring my own sack lunch and stereo......can I come play on yer new toy?