911 Moonlighters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wintergreenlawn&landscape, Feb 15, 2008.

1. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

I am a full-time paramedic, who runs my own business. Just wondering how many of you out there share the same hours and issues with owning your own business as I do?

2. bas122286

bas122286 LawnSite Member

I am a full-time EMT-I in paramedic school and work a 24/48 schedule. I love it. Work my 24, get paid have my insurance (which is paid for), then have 2 full days off to run the business. :cool2:

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

There are quite a few of us full-time firefighters here as well. I work 24 hour shifts here from 8:00 am to 8:00 am. 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1off, 1 on, 4 off.

4. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

24 on 48 off here.

It's very hard sometimes.

5. wintergreenlawn&landscape

from CT

This is the way to go!! I am full time medic supervisor making approximately 75-80K a year with full benefits and 401K. Therefore its hard for me to feel what these guys are feeling sometime that do it for a living. However, at the same time, we do work 70-80 hrs a week. This is why sometime on this forum, I have a hard time listening to all the complaining and laugh at all the equipment pics. Guys on here say that they buy equipment in order to make money, however, why do they feel the need to take pics of it and show them to us?

6. wintergreenlawn&landscape

from CT

With all that said, I guess my real issue lies within the weather on my days off....When it rains on my days off...that makes for a late / long week.

7. FIRESCOOBY

I enjoy looking at the pictures...

It sure makes for a long day when I get off and cut my first day off. I work at the busiest house in the county. I get up at 4am to go to work (live in the country) and most times we don't see the bed for more than 2 hours. So when I'm cutting my first yard I've sometimes been up for 28-30 hours already. Not complaining at all because the schedule allows it, but it makes for some long days sometimes. It's a choice I made to allow my wife to stay at home. I worked 48 hour shifts for 10 years minus 2 years running heavy equipment. I'd rather do this for "me" than work for someone else anyday...except when something tears up.

8. wintergreenlawn&landscape

from CT

I agree, my convictions are with the guys that complain and only work 40 hrs a week. I too choose to have my wife stay at home, a luxury I could not afford if I worked for somebody else.

9. wintergreenlawn&landscape

from CT

You work in Atlanta?

10. FIRESCOOBY

Not in a million years...LOL. I work in a craphole county to the NE of the city. The city of Atlanta has actually cleaned itself up alot. But in doing that...they ran all the crap to the immediate "suburbs". My county has over 110 different gangs, and that was 2 years ago. It's a constant gang war 24/7 around my station.