92 kubota 3450 w/loader and backhoe

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by bruno_rs, Feb 21, 2008.

1. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey all, i just bought a 92 kubota 3450 w/loader and backhoe. the machine has 2900 hrs on it but appears to be in pretty good shape... with the exception of a pin or two. the weight of the machine, with both implements, is approximately 5,900lbs. my question is, what set up will i need to "safely" tow the machine? what i have is an 84 5/4 ton chevy k30 CUCV (military pickup) with a 9ft flatbed. the receiver is welded to the ICC bar and tied into the frame. i have been told a 3/4 ton truck is sufficient to trailer this machine... is this true? secondly, i have a 16ft landscape trailer... it's probably time to step up to another trailer... correct? i want to stay under cdl weight. if i buy a trailer rated @ 10,000lb, would i need a cdl if the the gvw of the trailer and backhoe (combined) are under 10k? thanks, have a good one.

2. CRES

CRES LawnSite Member

That truck should be fine I tow my 4610 w a 3/4 ton pick up all the time. As for the trailer mine is rated for 9995lbs to keep under cdl. Hpoe that helps

3. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

cres, thanks for the reply... yes it did help. i have a follow up for you. is it not true... if you tow a trailer 10k+, a cdl license is needed? from the way your reply reads, it sounds like that's what you imply. i've always thought a cdl was necessary to tow a trailer 10k and over but while on another site, i was told it's not needed until BOTH the truck AND trailer/load are more than 26k. do cdl rules differ from state to state, maybe? i'm in jersey, hopefully someone reading this thread may know. thanks, looking forward to hearing from you. have a good one.

4. CRES

CRES LawnSite Member

Well that is what I call a gray area. In my view I agree that unless the como is over 26000 then cdl laws do not apply. I have been told differant so I keep my trailer under 10000 to be safe.

I need to go to DMV this week I try and find out more info from them.

5. CRES

CRES LawnSite Member

I just came from the RMV they told me any combo upto 26,000. I asked if I had a truck that was 10,000lbs I can tow a 16,000 lbs trailer. They said yes. So then I said what if I had a combo reg. for 24,000lbs and I got pulled over and its wieght was 28,000. they said you will get a ticket for driving w/out a CDL

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your truck will be fine to tow this load. You're right about your trailer, my TLB is smaller and lighter than yours and just barely fits on a 16' trailer. If you go with a 10K GVWR 20' trailer that would be about right.

7. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey guys, i just had a thought... i see some guys are towing their machines with dump trailers. i'm thinking i can use a 14ft. IF i remove the quick release hoe or (leave on and) lift the loader outside/above the trailer. this would kill two birds with one stone and not limit me to one use, for a heavier trailer. i do alot of mulching and only use my 5/4 ton CUCV with a dump insert... many trips back and forth, therfore too much down time. i don't want a large truck... i'm small and want to stay that way. with an addition of a dump trailer i could load the machine in the trailer, pick up a load of mulch (in the insert), drop the machine, load of mulch and my help at the customers and run back to load up the truck and trailer until we have enough mulch on site. do any of you use a dump trailer to do the same? if so, how has it worked out for you? thanks, looking forward to your responses. have a good one.