1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

92 kubota L3450 w/loader and backhoe

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bruno_rs, Feb 21, 2008.

1. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey guys, i just purchased a 92 3450 (compact) loader/backhoe. it has 2900 hrs on it and appears to be in pretty good shape, with the exception of a pin or two. the weight with both implements is 5900lbs. my question is, what is a safe set up to transport this machine. i've been told a 3/4 ton pickup would be sufficient... is this true? i have a 84 chevy k30 CUCV (military 1&1/4ton pickup), 6.2 diesel/auto with a 9ft. flatbed. the receiver is welded to the ICC bar and also tied to the frame. i should be ok with this truck, correct? i'm sure my 16ft landscape trailer is in need of replacement. if i purchase a 10,000lb trailer will i need a cdl if the gvw of the trailer and machine (combined) are less than 10k? figured if anybody can answer my questions, it would be you guys. thanks, looking forward to hearing from you. have a good one.
  2. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

sorry guys, i forgot to ask if it is possible and/or cost effective to "beef up" the trailer i have now. the machine will actually fit on a 14ft deck so it would be nice if i didn't have to purchase another trailer. is replacing the tongue with a pintle and the springs enough or am i looking @ replacing the axles too? thanks again.
  3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

your truck will pull it easy. It would just be better to buy a trailer designed for heavy use then to try and put a lot of money into fixing up an old one. You can get a decent skid loader trailer now for around 3grand. Go with the pintle hitch, it is a lot safer and i like pulling them much more then ball hitches. You will not need a CDL to pull it, theres a bunch of recent threads on that so check them out....to answer your last question its the axle ratings that the DOT goes by, so if you wanted a 10k trailer you would need to put two 5k axles on it, but landscape trailers just arn't meant for heavy stuff, you would have to end up putting a new deck on it, new axles, new springs...just go on ebay and find a good used one, they are always popping up

as far as GVW goes you just need to make sure the GVW of the truck + GVW of trailer is less then 26,000lbs
  4. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

dirt digger, thanks for your quick reply. i thought it would be best to just replace the trailer with a heavier one. someone told me if you tow a trailer 10k+ you would need a cdl. my thought was just what you stated... the combination of truck and load had to be over 26k. thanks again, i knew the big boys would be able to answer my question. have a good one.
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Just make sure you have a good brake controller and good trailer brakes. The old truck you have will pull it but it definatly isn't a 1 1/4 ton the millitary over-rates the truck. The old Chevy 14 bolt rear axles have decent sized brakes so if you make sure you are running thick brake drums and good brake shoes like Raybestos Superstop with them adjusted up tight and have the front brakes with good aggressive brake pads and new rotors.

The 6.2 on the other hand :laugh:

A good trailer with enough payload you should be ready to go. With a flatbed on the truck you will beable to carry extra buckets etc.

Even if you wanted a better towing trailer put a gooseneck hitch on the truck and get a gooseneck trailer. It will cost a little more but you can carry a little more weight and it handles better.
  6. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

gravel rat, thanks for your reply. i know it's not the most impressive set up but you gotta start somewhere. i bought the CUCV's thinking they were alittle more powerful than they've turned out to be and am surprized by the ability, or lack therof, to pull a load. thanks for the gooseneck idea but, i'd rather stick with a pintle. i really won't be using the backhoe away from our farm too often, therefore i can load up the truck and trailer with my mowers, blowers, hand equipment, etc. the reason i put the 9ft. flatbed on the truck was so i could load 2 48" zero turns ride ons (side by side), or put my dump insert on it, or throw the stakes up and haul, etc... makes it a more versitile truck. i'm kind of in the wrong forum, but i knew you "big boys" would be able to answer my questions and would do so quickly. you guys didn't let me down. i posted in a couple other forums before posting here and last i checked, no one replied in the other forums. i really appreciate your helpful hints and/or advice as well as the other guys in this forum. thanks, have a good one.