1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

93 chevy 1500 vs skid steer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by STRINGALATION, Mar 28, 2008.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

with a 93 1500 v8 1/2 ton can i pull a skiddy. getting tired of subbing so i was thinking about the rental game with my skid-steer work but i keep getting told i cannot pull one. i'm coming out of a jeep and this is my first truck so i thought i was huge and could pull the world .....until..... a whale pulled up next to me a f-350 dually 4-door duramax................:hammerhead:

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

a 1/2 ton cannot pull a skid steer most rental yards will not even let you hook up with a 1/2 ton. alot of places will deliver though.
  3. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

It's not so much pulling....ITS" STOPPING!
  4. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I have 94 5.7 350 and they only have 220HP and 330 torque. Small power band. Its gotta eat so much gas
  5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

ya most 1/2 tons dont have brake controllers. if u could get it moving ud probably blow a few lights and stops signs. well actually my 04 will pull 9000lbs the 2 wheel drive will pull 9500lbs the 08s will pull 11,000lbs thats a ford thou which is better i just had to say it.
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I pull a 4500lb tractor with my half ton 1988 Chev with no problem.
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen plenty of half ton's with trailer brake controllers.

Depends on the size of the skid loader. Most of the time I moved em with either a 3/4 or 1 ton.

There have been a handful of times I have seen a 1/2 ton do the job, but they were not the really big skid loaders.
  8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

My story... '99 1/2 ton chevy, 16' equipment trailer, Bobcat S180? (rental unit, cant remember for sure), 3 miles towing on secondary rd., = broken frame, both sides, right at rear shackles. Not a good day.
    I know, before all you FERD guys chime in, the frames on the Chevies are junk, I know this. I have two of them, I am answering the original posters' question. (On a side note, I still wouldn't own a FERD)
  9. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Ford has the powerstroke, Gm has the dmax. Sorry had to correct u, but as a dmax owner i felt compelled:gmctruck:

As far as towing a skid, i think its a little much. Put a break controller in the truck even if towing smaller loads. Good luck

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Man, I can't believe no one got to that before bowtie.