93 Ford 460ci help!!! Fuel Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnrangeralaska, May 25, 2006.

1. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

every once in a while my truck will sputter and choke and lose all power , then i switch to either the front or back tank and then my truck runs fine. until both tanks do that. i replaced the filter and the fuel pump relay sensor, i pulled the front tank and it was spotless in side. sometimes my truck acts up and sometimes it doesn't but when it does it leaves u stranded for a period of time. when it stops the motor makes a thumpin sound and like kicks. not sure if i should replace the lines or just the pumps. need help maybe its something electrical like my tank switch or .... ? but my pumps are 180 each so i don't want to just start throwing money away. any help would be nice.

2. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

My work truck is an 89 with the 460 and its done the same thing to me once or twice. Only other time its done it was because i was out of gas in that tank :hammerhead: The damn gauge reads full forever then suddenly it snaps down to E and you dont notice.

3. lawnrangeralaska

could the switch indicator that switches between front and rear tanks be causing this problem?

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Get a new pump before you are left starnded...If possible next time it does it take a rubber mallet and tap the gas tank bottom while the engine is being turned over (takes 2 people). If it starts then you have a bad pump...if not a bad switch/ground etc...

Hope this helps...:drinkup:

5. lawnrangeralaska

they had a recal on the pressure regilator, but that didnt solve the problem but i put a new fuel pump in and it solved my problem.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes the switch will go bad.