93 Ford 460ci help!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnrangeralaska, Mar 6, 2006.

1. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

Had a friends trusted mechanic look at my truck and start fixing it for the up coming season. And heres what he said, motor is shot because there is antifreeze in the airbox. He said it was because my truck over heated once. And basically trade it in and find a new truck. It only has 124,000 miles. I parked my truck 5 months ago at the end of the season and i did not notice anything wrong with it besides my t case low on fluid.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Did it in fact overheat ? Did it run fine after-wards ? Antifreeze probably got into the air box through the air inlet, That does not mean the engine is shot. There is no way for it to get in the air box from the engine. If there is no antifreeze in the oil and the block is not cracked where it wont hold antifreeze I would suggest finding another mechanic.
    BTW, I was in the auto biz over 12yrs. before lawn & garden equipment.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Get a oil test done on it a place like Blackstone labs will tell you if there is engine problems. The 460 is a tough old engine it likes its fuel too but you just close your eyes to that.

A engine can overheat and not cause any damage. If it still turns over and runs it should be fine. May want to do the heads and change the head gaskets and injectors you should have a good 6 mpg work truck.

I agree if there is antifreeze in the air box I have a feeling its getting sucked into the air box from the over flow tank etc.

If the engine oil looks milky then it may have coolant in it you can check it by a method I don't promote but take a dab off the dip stick with your finger and taste it. If the oil has a sweet taste to it theres antifreeze in it.

Antifreeze pretty much wipes out bearings so it means a rebuilt engine while the block is still good and the internal parts don't have major damage yet.

4. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Someone is throwing you a line, or the story is not quite right.

I agree that coolant in the air box is not possible, unless this engine has some type of combustion air preheater that uses coolant lines ???

Typically you get oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. You can recover nicely from oil in the coolant. Coolant in the oil is another story. As was said above it will take out bearings pretty quick. That said, all is not necessarily lost if there is coolant in the oil. I have fixed the leak, flushed the oil out a few times (until it is no longer milky), and driven the vehicle for years after that. It totally depends on how quick you discover the problem. If it runs fine, fix the leak (whatever it takes), flush the milky oil out, and drive it.

The typical causes of oil/coolant mixing are bad head gaskets, warped heads, bad intake gaskets, bad oil cooler. Some of these are caused by overheating, particularly if the engine has aluminum heads.

As stated above, you can overheat and not cause any problems. It is not a forgone conclusion that damage has occurred. The 305 in my Caprice Wagon has overheated many times (for various reasons). It is pushing 485,000 kms today and hasn't been cracked open yet.

If there is oil in the coolant, you will see black scum floating on top of the coolant when you take the rad cap off. You will also see the black scum and scum line in the overflow bucket.

If there is coolant in the oil, the oil will appear milky (chocolate milk!). Even a small amount of coolant in the oil will turn it milky. An oil test will certainly tell you for sure, but any measurable amount will be clearly seen by the milky color of the oil.

One other scenario is transmission fluid in the coolant. This happens when the transmission cooler in the rad goes bad and ATF and coolant start to mix.

Then there is gas in the oil, or diesel in the oil - a whole other ball game ...

Don't give up on the truck yet. Something is fishy about the oil in the air box story.

Let us know what you find. I am curious.

deej

5. lawnrangeralaska

Thanks for all the replys also i forgot to mention that he said the inside of the radiator was like brownish and it kind of looked muddy.

6. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

That is good news!!! Rad brownish and muddy inside means there is engine oil in the coolant, or there is transmission fluid in the coolant.

If there is transmission fluid in the coolant, then the rad is bad. This is a good possibility given the year of the truck. This is not an uncommon problem. No harm to any internal engine components with this scenario. Replace the rad, flush the cooling system, and you are off to the races with very little cost.

If there is engine oil in the coolant that means the oil has to be coming from somewhere where it is pressurized (otherwise the coolant would flow into the oil instead). This is likely a bad head gasket, or a cracked head (unlikely). My guess would be a bad head gasket. This is the usual cause. It is not a bad job to change. Some labor, but little cost in parts. Head gasket and intake set. Find the bad gasket - start taking the engine apart and inspecting the gaskets as you go - intake, then head gaskets - you will know the bad gasket when you see it. Replace the bad gasket, reassemble the engine, flush the cooling system, and drive it!

Neither of these scenarios is bad at all. Neither one means there was coolant in the oil, and thus there is no potential for bad bearings from lack of lubrication. Either repair is certainly cheaper than a new engine. I wouldn't hesitate to fix this engine.

deej

7. lawnrangeralaska

Could the motor be ruined if coolant is in the airbox?

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not likely...

9. lawnrangeralaska

The oil in the motor is the normal black color. It needs to be changed for sure.

10. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

be carefull if it has the orange enviormentaly safe coolant it does not mix with oil check the oil level if it is high pull the drain plug and watch what comes out. also if the coolant was mixed orange and green that will cause the muddy substance that is in your rad. it shouldn't have had orange coolant new but you never know what someone may have put in it over the years