93 GMC (Isuzu) 12 ft van

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Dec 3, 2000.

1. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm jealous! Been looking for over 2 months for a used cab & chassis Isuzu. Pics look great. Cab looks to be in great shape. How much did you pay and how many miles? If you find any other good deals, let me know! My wife is from PA (upper state) It would be worth the drive. Used cab and chassis here are running alomost $9-$12,000 (1995-1997)

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

lbmdl: pick up a copy of Big Truck & Equipment Trader ( issue #49 ) there is a bunch of cab overs listed all over new england.
  3. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Nice truck! Why not just leave it the way it is and put a gate on it. That way the you would not have to sell a modified truck. Also the truck would be used for more than one application. Like hauling , moving and storing equipment over winter and etc. Either way its a nice truck and hope it doesnt burn too much oil.(use mobil1 with some motor honey for that)

4. Actually I have not bought the truck yet. I was looking for feedback about any maint. issues etc.

bdemir did you look at all the pics? The top of this van has been in contact with a low stationary object. I need to get down tree lined streets and driveways and need to cut the body down to the top of the cab for practical reasons.

What it will be is almost 8ft wide and 12ft long open trailer that drives itself. I could save the alum. top bows and install the bows and a tarp if I need to keep the load dry.

5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

That looks like a pretty nice ride. That should be able to clear trees branches on streets, furniture trucks deliver to homes. Just don't try to drive in parking garages or you'll have a convertable!! I personally would try to keep the full box on there, it doesn't look like a hard fix. How much oil is it burning, is it something stupid like valve covers or more invloved like a rear main?
  6. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I'd go with a stake body. Easy to rig up a leaf loader if you need it. Also, easier to load from above with mulch or soil.
  7. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Theres a guy that drives around here with the same thing your talking about a driving trailer. In fact he has two of them a pick up with that type of bed with a dovetail, and he has an isuzu diesel with a modified dovetail wich works wonderfully. I really wouldnt mind getting one of those ourselves when we grow to a substantial measure. As far as maintenance, this guy is the worst in the world for maintenace and this thing just keeps on truckin, has 120,000 miles burns very little oil but the truck in general is holding up really really good. Go for it stoner!!!
  8. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a great idea,I might would go with a stake bed though. But like you said if you save the bows you could tarp it. Also if you could go with the stake bed that box with a patched roof would make a great storage building.What ever you do show us the pics.
  9. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Sounds like a winner Stone. However, I'd probably look for a standard transmission in purchasing a used one. Better fuel economy and cheaper to rebuild. Good luck.