93 octane rocks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric 1, May 16, 2004.

1. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep thats right, I started running 93 in my truck and found it is cheaper to run because it gets better mpg.

It also
    Runs smoother
    Pulls better
    Accelerates faster
    Gets better mpg

I went from 8 mpg on 87 to about 9.5 mpg with 93.

Just allitle tip i thought i would pass on.

2. seb442

seb442 LawnSite Member

91 and 93 octane is all I have ran in my mowers the past 6-7 years.

3. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

My mileage has also improved but, as bad as I hate to pay the

price, my truck will ping badly while pulling a trailer when using

regular. Of course I'm buying the cheapest I can find....WalMarts right now.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I use regular gas in my 1999 F-250 because that is what the engine comes from the factory tuned for.

I've always used premium in all my equipment though. I think it burns cooler and cleaner.

5. affordableyardcare

affordableyardcare LawnSite Member

If your truck is only getting 9.5 mpg. it's time to buy something that will get a lot better mileage and run cheaper gas, that will save you alot more money.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Have any suggestions?

7. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

If he is running a 3/4 ton truck that is about par for gas mileage, only option would be a diesel. 1/2 tons get much better mileage because of the gearing.

8. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 Dodge 1/2 ton Long Bed Ext cab. Milage sucks when pulling the trailer.

9. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

I figured on high gas prices and went with a V6 in my F150. Dont laugh, it saves me lots a money, and with a small truck like mine you dont really need anything bigger. Its a 200hp engine, and pulls the trailer fine, even with loaded down with about 600-700 pounds of wet mulch leaves. Just wont win any races, but we constantly are stopping and going. I would love a big ol Ford super duty with a multiple angle dump bed and dullys with a v10 or diesel and plow but one thing at a time. I havnt decided on diesel yet, my father just got a V10 powerd E350 van for pulling his 36ft camper. The V10 is cheaper than the diesel, and after you pay the extra for the diesel and work on it, the gas it saves really doesnt save you all that much. His V10 gets the same milage with or with out the camper, but pulls it like nothing, and that camper is a pig.

10. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

V6 will suck down gas when pulling heavy loads.