1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

93 octane

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mower BILL, May 26, 2002.

1. mower BILL

mower BILL LawnSite Member
    from florida

anybody using, 93 octane gas in their lawn equipment. two cycle . just wondering if you would get better mileage. thans mower bill.
  2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Every thing runs just fine on 89 for me. Can't say I ever even tried 93.
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Check your owner manual. Just because higher octane does not mean it is better. My JD manual said to use 87 octane. If use higher octane it may hurt the engine.
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've mentioned this before on this forum, just can't remember when. You should always use 93 octane in your 2 stroke equipment because there's a possibility that the 87 stuff could have ethanol (achohol) blended in it. Under government regulations gas companies are permitted to blend up to 10% ethanol into their gas WITHOUT having to tell you. This can cause problems because the oil mix in 2 stroke engines will not mix with ethanol. There have been cases of brand new engines
    seizing with only a few hours on them because of this and the manufacturers will not warranty these engines. I play it safe and use only 93 octane. The ethanol blends cannot achieve this octane so you can be sure there is nothing but gas in 93 octane gas. The few pennies more that it costs is IMHO well worth it and cheap insurance. I've been using the highest octane gas I can find in my 2 stroke equipment for over 14 years without any problems. I don't know weather it's because of this or not, but I have seldom had any problems with carbon buildup in the exhaust ports of my equipment.
  5. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Sorry, I thought that this thread was about fuel for lawn mower, until I re-read and saw that you are asking about two cycle equipment, not the four cycle equipment like lawn mower.

However, I still uses 87 octane on my two cycle equipments and have been using it for years and never have any problem with it.
  6. Ed,
    this just happened to me the end of april. Brand new Echo PAS231 power attatchment. Cause-- California is way ahead than the rest of the country in emmision control.(our smog requirements exceed fed rules). All our gas is ethonol based. This is going to happen to the rest of the country soon. Most manufactures require you to use 89 octan, but not the 87. 93 will cause your engine to run too hot in hot temps or at idle for a lengtn of time.

By the way, the engine was replaced on warrenty. It's who you know and how much sales your mechanic does.

7. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

That's how long it seems I've been using it. Since 1988. Never really ever had any problems using it.
    Same for the mowers.
  8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: Bill, i ALWAYS use super unleaded in my 2 cycle equipt. and usually once or twicw a month i treat the mowers to some also. tony
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

all high grd in my mix. my ranger will handle pulling better with 93 . the only place u can tell a difference is pulling a grade. the same for the lazer . every thing is the same untill u get it under max ld.. i dont think i93 is that muchv stronger
    just runs the motor with smoother action.
    which is one way of saying no preignition.under stress.
    my nissan truck runs better on regular.