9323 sq. feet of mulch???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by strickdad, Aug 26, 2001.

1. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i put this in the landscape forum and did not get a reply.. i have a commercial account that i intend to bid on , it includes mulch for beds . these areas come up to be 9323 sq. ft i come up with 115 cubic yards( i think this is right) if so what would you charge to install this much ... the site is very easy to access and not many plants at all to work around...... thanks

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I come up with about 86 yards at 3" deep. I would charge $4500.

You gonna do it by yourself :D

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I came up with about 60 yards at 2 inches deep. I would charge around $3900. That's what my market will pay. Roughly $65 a yard for shredded oak. Enviro's and Hemlock a little more.

4. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

I agree with both of the other replies on the amount of mulch. The formula I use is: 3" mulch covers 108 sqft +/-
    2" mulch covers 162 sqft +/-
    1" mulch covers 324 sqft +/-
    so, if you agree with these figures on coverage, you would have to calculate your material and labor. Both of the above replies seem to have a different price per yard. You will have to figure out what your market will bear, then compare that to your material/labor.

5. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i think i was figureing it on 4" deep 81 ft to the yard??? does this sound right??

6. 4" is a lot to put down

Does it have mulch already?

If you keep mulching it that deep it will look mounded and like crap. If I were doing this and it had mulch already I would try to use 2"

I would bid 58 yrds at $50 a yrd =$2900

Those others look good but you want repete biz so do it right

BTW I agree with Columbia

LGF:blob1:

7. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I've been chargeing 65 to 75 depending on the carring of it . I just got a job for 15 yrds an i found o place that i can get a tandum (20yds i think) for 150.00 like 7.00 a yrd.

here is a site you all may want to save ...http://www.bollingforest.com/yardage.htm

:blob2:

8. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Ever heard of a mulch blowing? I've seen it done. It's quite amazing. The mulch looks great, all fluffy. Like it "snowed" mulch. Guntruck has done it at a couple places. He's away or else I would have let him take up the cause. Ask around at your mulch place. It's a MAJOR time saver. That job could probably be blown in 4-5 hours. Instead of 20-30 for hand mulching.

9. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

I agree w/ columbia's numbers, i use the same formula's very accurate. Also what the godfather said,if you have a decent base 2" is plenty,we mulch every year on our accounts + the ones w/ a lot of plants in the beds we actually have to rake an inch or 2 out to fit 2 inches in,gets too high on plants, mounds bed up too much. Is it open enough to use a machine or will you be barreling it?

10. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

How do the mulch blowers work on beds that have a lot of plant material? I can see in large empty beds they could probably save a lot of time. Does the blower bury the plants? I guess you would still have the labor to do these beds by hand.