1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

94 Chevy 3500 HD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MacLawnCo, Feb 17, 2003.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking to get a very clean 1994 chevy 3500HD diesel with a manual, and flatbed. It has about 150,000 miles on it now. Is there anything that i should be specificly leary of, either that model, year, or engine? I appreciate any responses, either positive or negative.
  2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently bought a '97 Ford dually flatbed with about that many miles on it. I looked at an awful lot of trucks before buying this one - most weren't very nice. This one was one owner and had had a lot of maintenance done. Other than a minor scuff, it had never been wrecked or had any paint work done. I guess what I'm saying is I just felt comfortable with it, that it was a good truck. Any truck that old, and with that many miles is going to need some maintenance, so budget for it. But if you feel comfortable that it's in good shape, it drives nice and looks like it's been taken care of, and you can get it for a good price, I wouldn't worry 'bout it.
    Where are you buying it from? There's a regular poster to this board that has a '94 diesel dually flatbed for sale. He's the second owner and has done a lot of maintenance to it. Might be a good comparison if nothing else...

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That's me that Randy J is talking about, I think. I got an e-mail from Ohio that I assume is from you. Will send e-mail tonight.:)
  4. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Mac, I am sorry to say I don't know if that model has the 6.2 or the 6.5 in them. If it is the 6.2 and has not been replaced then they have been on borrowed time for a while. I have never seen one go over 120.000. If it is the 6.5 I don't relly know a bunch about them.

A 6.2 is a good boat anchor!

5. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Luckily this year would have the 6.5. I have a 92 with the 6.5 and have been very happy with it. The only problem that the 6.5's are infamous for are losing the Injection pumps. That is a fairly expensive job too. They usually are known to go around 80K-120K miles. Sounds like a nice truck though...
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The only think I heard bad about the 3500HDs is the front king pins are too small and wear out quick otherwise the truck should be fine. The 6.5s have weak injection pumps there are two different versions a mechanical one and a electronic version I'am not a chevy man so I don't know what years this is so.
  7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I purchased the truck you are talking about and always had problems with the injectors. But here is how to solve it. Carry cheap AT fluid with you. Everytime you fuel up put in one ounce of trans. fluid for each gallon of diesel fuel. This will lubricate the injectors. When I bought mine it had a 100,000 mile warranty. Went through three injector units. What the problem was the fuel additive was removed in 1995. This was what kept the injectures from sticking. People were making runs at the JD dealers and buying cases of their additive for their motor homes. The dealer told me that trans. fluid did the same thing much cheaper. BTW the resale on those trucks with that motor should be low.
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats one of the reasons that im drawn to it.

Are you serious about the AT fluid? I have not seen anything about that. How many miles does your truck have on it? Have you had any major problems, or any large ticket items go on you?
  9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

There is a topic similar to this under commercial landscaping with info on it. Just for the record, 94 was the first year of the "drive by wire" injection pumps. They were problematic. A 1995 with 150K would have an updated I would think. These motors are just like anything. Take care of them and they will last. That said I know some people have had problems with them while others run for ever. I have had two of them and I like them I've also had an 84 K3500 with a 6.2L. I sold it with just over 200K on it and all but 30 K were mine. No major component failures except one injection pump. The pickup was worked hard but taken care of.