'94 Kenworth T800 dump good deal?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by icex, Apr 3, 2011.

1. icex

icex LawnSite Senior Member
    from WV

2. SIWEL

SIWEL LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like a clean truck, but I don't think the mileage is correct. It looks to worn in certain areas to only have 70k on it. Still doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

For the gabion baskets, what size stone do you fill them with? That AL body will be torn to crap within days hauling bigger stone.

3. sbrem

sbrem LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I'm not sure on the price, but it looks like a nice truck and and it has the right specs to be a good dump truck

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

For truck to be 17 years old and have only 70K on it seems suspicious. That is not the bed you want if your hauling rock, but if it all checked out I would say that is good deal even in this economy.

5. curtisfarmer

curtisfarmer LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a short trixale for sure though. $33K, you can barely get a 1 ton F350 for that

6. blowerman

blowerman LawnSite Member

Like the other guys, mileage seems wrong. I've owned several KW quads and love them, but you'll tear the dump body apart with big rock. I'd keep looking.
    If you could get in the $40K range, used quads are for sale all over WI area with lot heavier specs and newer than 17 years old.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

That truck has the Hendrickson suspension - you want that no matter what truck you buy. The front axle is 14,000 lb.....a heavier front axle is desirable, but this will work. For a used truck year 2000 to earlier are the trucks of choice. Trucks eat money, so before you buy, have a mechanic go through your truck top to bottom, front to rear and see what you are really getting. It is not unusual for someone to buy a big nice looking truck and then have it suck your pocket book for another $20k in mechanicals to make it safe and roadworthy. The "standard" in big trucks is only fix it if it breaks and in this economy, the first thing to go is preventative maintenance. Buyer beware, especially when it comes to these things....

8. backhoe24

backhoe24 LawnSite Member

A 14K front with 46K rears and only 70K miles? This truck has been chopped and put together. A truck with factory 46K rears would have a 20K front axle. Looks like an OTR truck that they have put together to make a dump. Buyer beware..

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Usually OTR trucks don't have 46 rears or 14 fronts. The suspension would certainly be air ride if it was an OTR. A VIN check would say for sure what it started out as. It could be a pieces/parts truck, but how they get 70K on the odo I am not sure. My MACK had 295K on it when I bought it and it was a 1999 and I was suspicious of that until I found a log book confirming the mileage.

10. icex

icex LawnSite Senior Member
    from WV

We will probaly pass on this truck. There is a car dealer that has a international dump truck for sale with a metal bed and it says 49k miles because it was a state road truck. They only want $9k for it so it may be worth fixing up.. everything worked fine on it except the jake brake the other day but its probaly a broke wire or something minor because we have had that happened on one of our rollbacks before.