1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

95 degrees + long sleeves & gloves + riding

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jul 8, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Last week, one of my guys was "put on notice" by State officials. He was operating a ride-on spreader/sprayer unit. Most of what he was doing was spreading fert, but once in awhile he hit the toggle switch to spot spray weeds. He was found to "not be in complience" with State laws regarding pesticide use. Seems he should have been wearing long sleeves, rubber gloves, spray boots, and goggles. Keep in mind that it was a hot day in the mid 90's with a heat index of 100 degrees. This (fair-skinned) operator also has a family history of skin cancer, so he routinely wears sun screen as well as a wide-brim hat in order to protect his ears, neck, etc. So now we are awaiting the State of Iowa's decision regarding the "label". Seems Iowa cares not about skin cancer. hmmmmm rscvp -- anybody else have thoughts about common sense?
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I wear long sleeves when spraying--but it was only 89 here. Rubber boots,too. I wear perscription sunglass/safety glasses with side shields. Rumor has it in Michigan--if you are riding a Permagreen and have your gloves in your back pocket--you are probably OK.

I wish the manufacturers of equipment (Perma green, hand cans etc) would make sure all equipment was easy to operate while wearing rubber gloves.

State should probably require hat that protects head and neck.

Reminds me of my Ames Iowa days. A go go girl got arrested, as she was telling us later. For nude dancing. Smiling sweetly she told the judge, "Your honor I was NOT nude--I was wearing a hat." Scott free.
  3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes laws seem a little ridiculous, you would assume their would be wiggle room. I wear a long sleeve shirt all the time, but i'll roll the sleeves up in i'm working on a big property in the dead heat of the day. I'd rather be put on notice than suffer heat stroke and exhaustion.
  4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't a bit too hot to be spreading when the heat index is 100 degrees, much less spraying weed killer?
  5. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah? Seems a little warm to be spraying.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We spray weedy lawns (new sign-ups) in the mornings before temps hit the mid 80's and before the winds kick up. We spread dry fert up until 2:00 during the summer -- that's when my guys come back in from their routes during summer. I've known this state pesticide investigator since 1985, and he's a friend of mine. He indicated to me that all local lawn companies seem to wear short sleeve shirts or rolled-up long sleeve shirts this time of year. I told him that the grounds crews at Iowa State University operate their boom sprayers in short sleeves and no gloves.....he said, "I know." This guy is just doing his every other year inspection of lawn companies just to keep everybody honest. He also wishes that wide brim hats & sun screen should be required when UV indexes are high -- maybe lawmakers will realize that skin cancer is a very common & serious problem. My Dad has had several minor surgeries for skin cancer (ears & cheeks) because he farmed for over 50 years. He also suffered heat stroke more than once. Final note: this state inspector is a very fine & courteous gentleman - my beef is if one gets no pesticide on their body while operating a riding machine, why the need for long sleeves & rubber gloves? Yet no required protection from skin cancer?
  7. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

It is of my opinion that if you wear long sleeve shirts and the chemical gets on your shirt, it sits in your shirt throughout the day, just as it would on any other piece of clothing. I'm not so sure it is really going to make a difference. I think you'll be better off protecting your eyes and wiping yourself off with a wet towel if you do happen to get a substantial amount of the chemical on you. Truth be told, it's probably wise to use a chem suit each time you spray if you truly want to be safe. Not very practical for spot sprays. I'm on the fence. Rubber boots for sure when doing full sprays with the hose. On a rider, protect your eyes. Always wear rubber gloves.
  8. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

It was brutal today,we were spraying stone areas around concrete tanks and quit bye 10 o'clock, started at 7 but were soaked bye the time we stopped,
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I got one for you...

Was doing a job for a customer last Friday and Scotts truck pulled up two hourses down from me.

Guy gets out of truck with a T-Shirt on and has no gloves. Spot sprays the yard and gets back in truck. As I drove by I noticed he didn't sign the yard. THESE GUYS COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THIER JOB OR THEIR HEALTH IN MY OPINION!

I run a PG and always wear boots and glasses and wear gloves while loading. I always wear short sleves though unless I am spraying trees. Don't feel too much risk with wearing short sleeves, but could be wrong! Hear you on the skin cancer though! That is a concern I need to pay attention to.
  10. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

Sunblock is huge.. I use sunblock and OFF everyday.. Theres nothing worse then when horseflies and other annoying pests keep landing on the back of your head. I worked at Scotts for awhile./.. trust me the guy was in the minority. I'll give Scotts credit at least for the fact most people conplied b the rules.