1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

.95 Echo crossfire trimmer line

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FERT-TEK, Sep 27, 2005.

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a better line out there?
  2. soutwestlawns

soutwestlawns LawnSite Member

i prefer gator line, echo line is junk, just my opinion.
  3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i buy the craphole line from wal-mart.... 4 times the string for the same price. it may not last aslong but i'm sure its not a 4:1 ratio for the premium string.
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I used to run echo crossfire in my bumps, but got tired of having it bog down in the grass, so I switched to .130 shindaiwa quiettwist. I run it in my bump heads, and it wears forever. a bit hard to get through the holes while winding, but other than that, it is great. never had it weld once. you could probably go with .105 and be ok too. unfortinatly, my dealer doesn't stock it, or I would use .105
  5. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I tried echo crossfire and did not like it at all...a true monster line trimmer has to have a line that will hold up and gator with the aramid material is STRONG and abrasion resistant...echo is good for for wacker from wally world but that is it...Stihl's commercial green round is pretty good...it does NO good to have a powerful trimmer with huge torque when the line is junk...
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I used Crossfire for a while several years ago. I actually prefer the Gator Magnum line though. It's all personal preference.

About a year ago one of my customers, who lives on a corner lot, and kind of on a small hill, gave me an almost-full 5lb spool of .095" Crossfire. He had found it in his yard a few days before. Someone must have come down the hill, rounded the corner and the Echo line just rolled off. At least that's what we figure must have happened.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

As I've said over and over, I like the Sufix Mega Twist line best.
    I'd bet the Shindawia and Tanaka twisted lines are good too.

I'm currently testing another line nobody runs here.
    Once I'm satisfied with my field use of it I'll post a review.
  8. TClawn

and what line is that, envy?
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I needed some line the other day, didn't realize I was almost out of my Echo line.

I ran into a mower shop and the only thing they had on a spool of any size was some Husqavarna line, the stuff that says it actually has Titanium in it.

Anyways, I've been running it about a week now and actually lasts longer than the Echo stuff. However, it doesn't seem to cut as well. It is however quieter than the Echo.

Guess you have to weigh the pros and cons.

I do alot of chainlink fencing in the schools and parks that I maintain, so it's good there.
  10. TClawn

I hate, and have always hated smooth round line. it just doesn't seem to slice through the grass like square or twisted line does. the tanaka line if very wear resistant, even more so than the shindaiwa, and I would use it if 1. it was easier to get. and 2. if it was a different color than black.