95 f 150 with a 300ci

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by aaronm, Jun 3, 2008.

1. aaronm

aaronm LawnSite Member

Its got the 300 Straight 6.

I have a 14' open Trailer, 60' Laser, 2 21"'s, and small tools.
    Can this truck pull my stuff!?
  2. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

[edit] 300
    A big 300 CID (4.9 L) six was added for the F-series in 1965 and were essentially a 240 CID (3.9 L) with a longer stroke (the two are nearly interchangeable aside from a few parts). It produced 170 hp (127 kW). The 300 became the base F-series engine in 1978 at 114 hp (85 kW) (hp number changes due to Ford switching to Net power ratings in 1971.)) Power outputs were increased to roughly 122 hp (91 kW) during the early 1980s before fuel injection was introduced. This became the primary engine of the line, eclipsing the 240. Unlike the Falcon engine, it featured a separate intake manifold which could be easily replaced with aftermarket manifolds offering the promise of even more power, through the installation of larger carburetors.

Also during the late sixties and early seventies, the 300 was used in larger vehicles such as dump trucks, many weighing into the 15,000–20,000 pound (7,000–9,000 kg) range. These 300s were equipped with a higher flow HD (Heavy Duty) exhaust manifold since the engines were going to be constantly working in the 3000–4000 rpm range. These rare, yet effective, manifolds had higher flow than the electronic fuel injection 4.9 (300) manifolds and some headers.

This engine is also used by Stewart and Stevenson in the MA Baggage Tow Tractor (pdf), as well as a multitude of other pieces of equipment, such as ski lifts, power generators, wood chippers, tractors, and, until they converted to diesel engines, most UPS trucks. Many UPS trucks still use the 300 to this day.

In stationary service (generators and pumps) fueled with LPG or natural gas, this engine is known as the CSG-649.

[edit] 4.9
    Engine sizes were converted to metric for 1983, causing the 300 to become the "4.9". Fuel injection and other changes in 1987 pushed output up to 150 hp (112 kW). This engine was gradually phased out, ending production in 1996 and replaced by the Essex V6 in the F-series trucks with their 1997 redesign. However, it was renowned for its durability, low end torque, and ease of service. Often going for more than 300,000 mi (480,000 km) before rebuilds, many continue in service. Ford also built some trucks with the 300 cu in (4.9 L) engine coupled with the Ford C6 transmission and the Ford E4OD transmission as well as the Mazda built M5OD 5 speed manual transmission through the mid-1990s. This combination is a durable truck powertrain. The 4.9 liter 6 cylinder was built in Cleveland, Ohio.

[edit] See also
    where i got this info
    it was probley one of the best trucks ever made imo hold on to the one as long as you can they dont make em like that anymore.
    I had a chance last year to get one it was really nice the only thing really going wroung was the hood paint was fadeing but i went for the a big old crew cab diesel. I will not make the same mistake if i ever come across one again.
    my uncle has one ive been trying to get from him but he wont let go yet and i dont blame him his son was able to drive it from Wisconsin all the way to california. I told him make sure his son doesnt sell it!
    I think the reason ford doesnt use anymore is it just too good of engine
  3. mower&more1986

Fourth generation
    Truck Six
    Production: 1964 - 1996
    Bore: 4"
    Stroke: 3.18" (240)
    3.98" (300)
    Displacement: 240 CID (3.9 L)
    300 CID (4.9 L)
    Fuel system: Normally aspirated
    Fuel injection
    Power output: 120 hp (89 kW) - 170 hp (127 kW)
    Torque output: 260 lb·ft (353 N·m)
    Produced at the Cleveland Engine plant in Brook Park, Ohio from 1964 through 1996, the 240 and 300 Sixes are well-known for their durability. Simple design and rugged construction continue to endear these engines to a number of Ford enthusiasts to this day.

One example of the engine's sturdy design is the fact that no timing chain or timing belt (both of which can break, causing unwanted downtime or even engine damage) is used. This generation of Ford Six was designed with long-wearing gears for that purpose instead. Few, if any, modern engines use timing gears; belts are by far more common, especially among non-domestic automakers.

[edit] 240
    The 240 CID (3.9 L) six for 1965 - 1975 cars and trucks produced 150 hp (112 kW). In stationary service (generators and pumps) fueled by LPG or natural gas, this is known as the CSG-639.
  4. mower&more1986

heres the old thread. really i could pick it up for $2000
    seems theres some of them floating around me Im going start putting some money away It just feels way more practicle then a diesel. even worst back in colloage i could had one $500! life is full of hard lessons
  5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I had a '94 f150 with the straight 6 and a 5 speed manual, best truck I ever owned. Like M&M said, good low end torque and extremly reliable. The only $$ I ever put into the truck were for maintenance ( oil, plugs, one ball joint, stuff like that) no major repairs in 200,000km.

If your going to be doing a bunch of highway driving, I'd consider getting a bigger engine. If your going to be doing mostly in town driving and/or not too much highway driving I'd say go for it and enjoy the new truck. Pulled my walker, two 21" mowers and the rest of the small engine stuff quite well for many, many km's.
  6. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

YES! is has more pulling TQ & power then a 302v8 of the same year
  7. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

300 cu ford motor is a workhorse.my 78 f250 flatbed has bee rebuilt once and doesn't leak any oil and still gets 13 1/2 mpg.that's pulling a loaded trailer with a full bed.best gasoline engine ford ever made.will pull anything a v8 will,maybe a little slower but has plenty of torque.that's why their expensive
  8. aaronm

aaronm LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the response guys, esp Mower&more! I ended up buying this truck.. It is in pristine condition except the paint is fading.

I am glad to hear it pulls better then the 302!
  9. aaronm

aaronm LawnSite Member

$ 1250 by the way!
  10. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

That is a great price. Great engine... Good deal.