1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

95 F350 Need Advice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DMLawns, Nov 13, 2005.

1. DMLawns

DMLawns LawnSite Member

I am thinking of purchasing a 1995 Ford F350 7.3L Powerstroke. It has 346,000 miles on it and a new transmission, new tires, and new brakes. The dealer wants 7500 for the truck. Is it worth it? What else good be going out on the truck soon? Any information would be greatly apreciated.

2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Is it worth it? Hell no, you could not pay me to take that truck off the lot. powerstroke or gas if you are looking for a work truck run away fast. If there is something that hasn't been replaced it will need it soon. That truck or any with that kind of mileage will be a GIANT MONEY PIT.
  3. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know much about PS engiens but on another thread I just learned that if that truck was worked hard, it is probably on it's last leg as far as the engine is concerned.
  4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I can't believe your even asking that question!! HELL NO! With 346,000 miles it is at the end of its life and is going to turn into a money pit real quick. I have been looking at older trucks (for comparison) and found a F-450, 1994, powerstroke diesel, 140,000 miles, geat condition, no bed on back for around $6,000.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I can't believe a "stealer" would ask that much for a truck like that. Every front end bushing is probably shot.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

RUN dont walk, RUN away from that deal man. At 346,000; that engine is TOAST. You prolly cant haul a coke can with that thing. Im sure smalltimer will chime in saying that a ps engine will last for ten trillion miles, but that is one horrible deal. If you get it around 1k it is a deal.
  7. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Offer $4500, if not, walk...
  8. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Run away, there are plenty out there at better prices with a lot less miles.
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'd offer $1000...and sell the transmission,brakes and tires.

10. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking for a used 7.3psd with around 180k miles or above it would be very wise to have a compression test done by a third party shop or dealership to make sure the engine still has some life left in it.