95 ford ranger hard starting and high revving.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnwizards, Jul 30, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 95 ford ranger 2.9l 4 cylinder. tried to start it yesterday and it took about 5 seconds of turning over then it started. when it did start it revved really high for a few seconds then slowed back down. is this a problem or a one time thing? i really don't wanna have to put it in the shop. any help is appreciated. thanks.

randy

2. notoriousDUG

notoriousDUG LawnSite Member

Ha sit done it again?

3. lawnwizards

actually my employee is the one who witnessed it. i tried starting it today without any problems. so to answer your question. no just the one time.

4. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

EGR-valve possibly sticking?

5. TeeCee

TeeCee LawnSite Member

Vacuum lines off or leaking.

Throttle position sensor

6. lawnwizards

well, i change the spark plugs and wires (8 of them) and it seems to run better. its only been one day but i'll post again tomorrow if its working better.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

How exactly did a Ford Ranger have 8 spark plugs?

8. lawnwizards

dont ask me how. i just went to the auto parts store and they gave me the wires and 8 spark plugs. they were a bi*ch to install. very hidden.

9. notoriousDUG

notoriousDUG LawnSite Member

Your employee started it with their foot on the gas.

10. TeeCee

TeeCee LawnSite Member

Eight plugs....did you find holes for all of them or were there 2 left over. I look in ALLDATA at the shop and it has 2.9L as 6 cyl. Here is the data from AUTOZONE. If it only happened once then Notorious is right that he probably pumped the pedal or turned the ignition enough to hit the fuel pump before starting it. Did you gap them plugs...hope so.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/0d/c1/3a/0900823d800dc13a.jsp