95 silverado won't start.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Blk94fiveOh, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

I can't get my 95 2500 silverado to start. Its been very cold here the past few days ( -20 ). Yesterday when i went to start it in the morning It made a weird grinding noise the first time I turned the key. The second time I turned the key, it started, but it turned over pretty slow. I had to run a couple of arrands, and when i came back out to the truck it was dead. It made a clicking noise on the drivers side, near the maxi fuse box, but that was it. After a few more tries, the clicking stopped, and now its totally dead. I hit the starter with a hammer while someone else tried to start it, and it sounded like it turned over for a split second, after that It wouldn't do anything.I had it towed home and I replaced the starter in my driveway ( -40 with the windchill) That did nothing. I also tried jumping it even thought the battery is about 4 months old (red top optima). I also made sure i was getting 12v to the starter. The headlights work, interior lights work, stereo, and blinkers work but the wipers, and the flashers don't. I dont' get whats going on here, and I'm getting frustrated with this truck, I just purched in november, real fast.
    I have a western uni-mount plow on it.

Btw; i've checked all the fuses and had the battery load tested.

Thanks for your help,
    scott

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know unless the flex plate on the torgue convertor has broke and has bound up the engine or maybe a chunk of ice has got in there and wedge it up or something

3. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like the starter is jammed internally. Hard to diagnose without being there.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I forgot to mention also the electric motors on snow plows pull alot of juice if you have the stock alternator it may not put out enuff to keep the battery charged, or the extra load may have damaged the battery, i would have the battery load tested at a parts dealership 1st before i done anything else , its about the most simple and easiest to do maybe start there and troubleshoot from there

5. Blk94fiveOh

from MN

I had the battery load tested, and I replaced the starter...

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Tighten the nuts on the starter solenoid.
    This has been the culprit for me several times on several different vehicles. It should be mounted on the inner fender near the battery. That should be where the clicking noise came from.

PS. If the solenoid is not the cause of your problem I'll buy you lunch. (':drinkup:')

7. Blk94fiveOh

from MN

I just got done bench testing the old starter and it worked fine.A few things that may help...

-The solenoid is located on the starter and came with the new one. The clicking was coming from the drivers side fender area. (maybe the maxi fuse box area??)

-The clicking stopped after a few attempts to start the vehicle.

-I checked all the fuses

-the warning lights on the dash do not turn on when i turn the key to crank the truck . The only light that comes on is the battery light.

-Is pizza ok with you for lunch? ;)

8. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

might be a faulty ign switch. Check on the firewall, behind a lg plastic shield held in place with plastic nuts, passanger side. Look for broken loose connections and check the relays. Check all the fuses in all fuse panels. Also if you have a Haynes manual, find out where the fuseable links are in the system.

9. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the ignition switch.Very close problem to what i had.took 2 weeks to figure it out.On my truck every thing on the dash goes dead when starting it, only when the switch is in the ''on'' position before being started do they all come on,then after it starts severall come on for a second then go out, like ''fasten seatbelt''..the clicking....hmm prob. just a relay you don't normally hear because the thing starts right away.

To test the switch connect a wire to the starter solenoid (disconnect the wire there now)put the switch in the on position then carefully touch the wire to the POSITIVE battery terminal (it will spark a little)it should turn over but may not start if the thing is totally fried.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

dang!
    would've been true of an older truck.

Give me a mailing address!:mad: