1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$96,000.00 Contract

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Braveheart, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Braveheart

Braveheart LawnSite Member

I want to send out a big thank you to eveyone who has helped me on this site. After only a handfull of months at this, I have just won a a contract for the non-residential portions of a gated community in my town. This contract is very big for me and I would have never been prepared to handle it without some of the help I have gotten from here. Thank You!

Acorn Hills Landscape
  2. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats. Nice contract for a first year.

Some advice-$96,000 is alot of money, but you need to be absolutley sure that you are able to do the work for that amount of money. It says alot if the next bidder was at $150,000. What I'm trying to say is even though its alot of money that doesn't mean you'll make money. Always be sure you're not getting in over your head.
  3. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

If the last guy was $150,000, he 's probably been in business awhile and knew what it takes to make a profit. This has LOWBALLER written all over it.Next year the contract will go to for less than $96,000.Probably a new guy who got his knowledge from Lawnsite and not experience.
  4. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know what the other bids were...I was trying to make a point about how people make bids. They usually just try to beat others prices without seeing what they price needs to be for them to not lose money.
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

most of our commercial work in in the $30K plus range...
    large contracts will insulate you from most of your competetion. Not many companies can handle jobs like those.

just remember that there is much larger risk involved with larger contracts.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

6 months in business--- ??this could be great-- or very bad??

Good luck!
  7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

You're making quite a few ASSumptions there...
  8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

CONGRATS!! :) :) payup payup payup payup
  9. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta say that you either have a lot on the ball or a cousin on the home owners association board! After going back and reading your 19 posts I am surprised that a home owners association took a chance on you. I don't mean that as a slam it's just that it is hard to imagine the guy who posted less than 2 months ago that he was rutting up his first yard and a week later was asking what to charge for fertilizer now has a $96,000 dollar contract. Good luck and I hope things go well for you.
  10. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Good Luck and may you be profitable. I think it is good that you can gain knowledge and than use it to land a great contract. Just make sure you do what you contract says. Don't get in over your head and do the best you can. We are always here if you need advise.:cool2: