'96 Buick Roadmaster w. 350 LT1 engine pulling a 2000 lb. Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by genesis215, Apr 17, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

What do you think? The advantages are that this vehicle has the 350 LT1 Corvette engine, plus it gets 26 MPG (incredible for a V8). It also hauls 8 people; so it can be used as a family vehicle. My trailer fully loaded weighs around 2000 pounds, do you think it could pull it? I heard of someone pulling a 20' boat with one of these, and they said it did great, and got great gas mileage during towing. Is the frame on these capable of pulling this size of a load? Any thoughts would be a appreciated.

2. wintergreenlawn&landscape

wintergreenlawn&landscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

That engine does not get 26 mpg!!! Not incredible...Incrediculous!!

3. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen someone pulling a small dual-axle Airstream with one of these--I don't know how well it worked.

Have you considered an Astro? The will seat 7, get half-way decent fuel economy, and are rated to tow in the neighborhood of 5000 lbs with the V-6. With the truck suspension and ground clearance, it would be less likely to bottom out when going over curbs.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of cars can pull 2K lbs. This wagon would have no problem. Look back to the days before SUV's.....it was sedans and station wagons pulling your 20 some foot camper trailer.

The only thing I'd worry about is tongue load. Don't want it to sag too much. If so, you may need weight distribution bars.

And, yes, these are capable of 20 something MPG.

5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I agree with TLS. Careful loading of the trailer is an absolute must, but you should be able to get by with it. I would look at what you have for a transmission cooler, just to be on the safe side. However, you're going to look kinda silly pulling mowers around with a Buick.

6. ezgoer1969

ezgoer1969 LawnSite Member

It is not a matter if you can tow it. But the brakes on most vehicles are not meant to handle more than 1k. Too much weight and your brakes may fade if they heat up too much.

7. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

Another idea: you may want to upgrade the suspension. My parents used to tow a 1000 lbs camping gear trailer with a Caprice Wagon (5.0 L, carb). They added a transmission cooler and big rubber air bags which fit inside the rear spring coils. They used a class I bumper hitch with no problems (they probably towed 15,000 + miles with the car)--you'll need at least a class II (the class III's probably aren't much more expensive).

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

They will tow it but they are not made to tow loads everyday.

9. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I put too much emphasis on perception, but pulling a trailer with a Buick station wagon?

I'm all for people doing as much with what they've got, but this? Personally I think it's look really stupid. You'd definitely come across (just from the first impression) that you're a "fly by night" operation that probably won't be in business come July, or will do a crappy job...or both.

Not labeling you, just giving you my opinion.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You'll ruin the transmission, trust me I did it to my T-bird with the 5.0 Mustang engine and that was with an empty trailer!
    I didn't even go that far with it, maybe 40 miles...
    That's all it took, and those AOD's are so dang expensive I had to sell the car (lucky it was a T-bird so sell it did) at a very cheap price.
    It still ran but the shifting wasn't right anymore and it would slip at times, it was fouled up some kind of way.

(oh yeh i used to get 27 hwy 24 city, I do find it odd you'd get 26 with the 350 thou, maybe yours has a 5-speed...)
    We're talking 4-6 thousand dollars for a remanfg'd trans, 2-3g rebuilt but at the very least 1200 (and gl lol)...