1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

96 GMC diesel?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by matt spinniken, Oct 7, 2007.

1. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking at a 1 ton 12' flat bed dually GMC diesel with around 100,000 miles it has a rebuilt tranny and is otherwise in good condition. The guy wants $6200 for it. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Does anyone have something similar?
  2. Fatboy

Fatboy LawnSite Member

If the injection pump hasn't been replaced recently then take that cost into consideration.

3. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Yeah, the GM electronic IP is crap. They changed in 94 or so. It's mounted right in the lifter valley, where the heat kills it.
  4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

From my understanding you should run from those diesels. I cant remember why but when I was looking to purchase one a good mechanic friend told they were a POS.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

There was a fuel pump upgrade that solved those problems. I bought one used, in 2002 and ran it for a couple of years. I really liked it. Resold it to a guy who used it to move small mobile homes into N.O. after the big hurricane.
    He is still running it, and it has about 350,000 miles on the original engine now.
    I did have to replace the clutch, and that was pretty expensive. Fuel mileage was not very good, put it pulled my heavily loaded equipment trailer with no problem.
  6. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

GM 6.5 Diesel is a boat anchor!!
  7. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, good info I think im going to keep looking.
  8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

My dads company got that exact truck. I know they rebuilt the engine about 2 years ago(not sure of what mileage), its got about 142,000 on now. but even after the got the new engine the thing has no power.
  9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

couldnt of said that any better i didnt know this and about a year ago i looked a chevy dump with the 6.5 in it and my mechanic told me dont even bring it in for him to check out theyre no good....needless to say we didnt get it
  10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

For more reading material then you will know what to do with, go to dieselplace.com and look in the 6.5 forum. Those engines only put out around 200 horse and 350ft-lbs. of torque also.