96 GMC tranny bad !!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Turfcutters Plus, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

My 96 GMC sierra Z-71 transmission is shot . Should i get rebuild or newer truck ? . Pulling 12 by 6 pace enclosed trailer now was hard on truck tranny i think .:cry:

2. IOWA GUY

IOWA GUY LawnSite Member

How good is the engine?

3. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, that 4-speed auto (I assume it is that) was known to go out, especially with a 350 in front of it. Shouldn't be too bad to find a rebuilt unit, have a tech check it out, call around and get a few estimates, then evaluate if the truck is worth repairing. Not worth much at all if not in working order.

Get it up & running and save up for something a little newer down the road...just my $.02

4. sw45

sw45 LawnSite Member

Had the one in my 98 rebuilt. Its a 4L60E. Had upgrades put in like premium clutches, a shift kit, and vette servo. Built like that, they will last forever if maintained. The shift kit corrects problems in the valve body which can cause the trans to fail prematurely. Cost $1800 with 2 year/24k warranty

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

The 4l60e was junk. I had one in my 94 impala SS it was built...I replaced em once a year for 5 years. of course I was racing the car. :)

the 4l80e was a direct bolt up for the 4l60e with some minor computer tweaks. and it was a much more stout tranny. do some internet research you shuold be able to upgrade the tranny to the 4l80e

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

By far the simplest tranny to rebuild..

Reverse and I believe the clutches in the input shaft house, I think first and second, were the problems I noticed most.

I'd just have it rebuild by a tranny shop with some name, if you get what I am saying.

7. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

engine is great !

8. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

I would just rebuild the transmission or replace it and keep going. As long as it's not rusting out badly, those '88 to '98 4wd Chevy/GMC's are pretty sought after as they are much simpler to work on than the newer models.

9. TimsLawnCareVA

TimsLawnCareVA LawnSite Senior Member

Get it rebuilt with a heavy duty 3-4 clutch pack (has more steel and fiber clutches than stock) and a shift improver kit designed for towing. Also install a large aftermarket trans cooler. I worked at a GMC dealer for many years and was GM and ASE certified in auto transmissions, and the most common prolblem the those transmissions was 3-4 clutch pack failure from towing.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

dont use od when towing in city traffic