96 Scag Super Z, 61" cut, 22hp Kohler - good model or not?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by landcruiser, Nov 7, 2002.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

I am looking at buying a 96 Scag Super Z 61" with a Kohler 22hp gas engine. I know nothing about Scags, have never even run one. Is this a good model or not? Does it have any particular pitfalls such as bad deck design, hyd trans problems, etc? I have heard horror stories about some of the Kohler v-twins - is this a troublesome model? The engine has these numbers on it:

cv22s
    spec 67509

Thanks for any advice. What is the model worth, roughly, in good condition?

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I guess it depends how cheap you can get it. I think it only has a ground speed of around 7. I think the blade tip speed was rather slow on this model. I believe that Homer has one of these units. I would consider one if it were a real bargain, and probably keep her as a back up. Don't have much info on the motor either, sorry.

Good luck
    Jay

3. Awilkinson

Awilkinson LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

One problem that you might find with this model is that it is a dog! If you get into any heavy stuff, it will be very slow going. It is way to underpowered for that size of a deck. If you are going 60" or over, go with nothing less then 25 hp. That is the optimal power for deck size. I do agree that if the price is right, it would make an exceptable back up, but I would not have it as a primary machine, it will increase your overhead (labor cost per job due to longer time spent on each job).

4. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Just ran across this post and was also wondering about pricing a '97 Scag Super Z 61" with 800 hours. The original engine (lack of oil) was replaced with a new 24Kaw, along with the PTO clutch. Hope to see it this weekend.

5. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

how much is it landcruiser?

6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Don't know about the '96 (old post) but the '97 is asking $2800.