96 TopKick Cat 3116

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GreenI.A., Jul 18, 2013.

1. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys. I'm looking at picking up a back up dump. I want to stay under CDL so anyone can drive it. It's only going to be used here and there so I'm just looking for something cheaper but reliable. I'm looking at a 96 TopKick with a Cat 3116 & 5 speed. About 150k miles, 10' dump. What do you guys know about with these? Anything in particular to watch for? I plan to run it down to my diesel guy before I buy it.

2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Good motors. Not a whole Lotta race in them but got torque. Watch for oil pans rusting out,,, injectors. And intake heaters

3. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

That's pretty much what I have been hearing. The big complaints I've seen online are from guys who have them for hauling, they say that they pretty much top out at 55.

4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea. That sounds about right. But they can pull and pull
    Just watch the oil pan all the time

5. torozmaster2

torozmaster2 LawnSite Member

I drive pretty much the exact same truck you are describing. Painstakingly slow, however it does get where you are going. I can hit 60-65 on the highway, but your really maxing the engine rpm's out.

His has been dead nuts reliable. It has well over 300K on it and never had a problem with the engine or truck. It is a little hard to start when its cold, but hell, what diesel isnt.