97' Chevy 3500 Starting Problem, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Outdoor Creations, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Outdoor Creations

Outdoor Creations LawnSite Member

Here is the deal, last week was a very wet week and my trucks did not have much action. To my suprise this week my 97' 3500 would not start. Easy right? I wish, went in had my batteries tested, both bad! I suppose with the cooler weather that happens. Put the new ones in started right up had no issues. I did notice that they did not seat right (cables to the battery). So when I was going to get home I was going to look into it. I was midway thru the day and the thing would not start. I looked at the terminals and they were loose. I tightened them up and what do you know they stripped out. So back to the shop, got 2 new batteries (at no cost!) put them in, put new bolts for the cables, tightned everything up, NOTHING! I get one click and that is it. Everything on my dash lights up, the volt deal on the dash says I am getting enough. What would be the deal? Maybe a solnoid??? I know spelling. Oh well, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zach
    klenkmn@msn.com

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If this is the side terminal battery as most are I have seen these corrode up inside the plastic covering. Put a multimeter across the battery post (on the cable ends not the screws) and have someone hit the key. If the voltage drops way below 10 volts check ALL battery connections/cables including the ground to the body/frame.

It sure sounds like a connection/ground issue.

3. Outdoor Creations

Outdoor Creations LawnSite Member

I will look at it in the morning, Thanks! I think there is a ground running underneath and may be loose.
    Thanks again!