'97 F-350 Powerstroke...buy or no?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by POPO4995, Sep 13, 2008.

1. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine has a truck with a plow that he wants to sell and i'm not sure if its a good deal or not. Let me know whatcha think.

1997 Ford F-350
    Regular Cab, Long Box
    7.3 Powerstroke Turbo w/ 209K
    Original Automatic trans but had new torque converter about 25K ago
    Has some rust starting around the wheel wells just at the bottom corners
    Has a Western UniMount 7'6" Poly Plow in good condition
    Newer tires, BFG A/T's, think atleast 285, maybe bigger yet
    Rear fuel tank might have a leak but not sure, $120 for a new one, no big deal

Asking $6000
  2. amerigreenlawncare

amerigreenlawncare LawnSite Member

i think that truck is not a good deal $2500 tops it sounds like you are going to dump alot of$ in to it keep looking just say no!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

imo i think the engine is worth about $3000 not sure what a plow costs ive never even seen a plow on any kind of truck but maybe that will help a little bit
  4. Riley Lawn Service

Riley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

i would go for it because diesel engines will go for ever with only minor problems. people that say they have big diesel trucks and then after 25000 miles they say they start having problems but no S&%$ thats gonna happen if you drive it like a ****** and goose it around everywhere like all the idiots i see in my town. if you take care of it it would be a great truck for plowing snow. is it 4x4?
  5. POPO4995

Yes, 4x4 auto. Besides the couple rust spots, the truck is in good shape. The rust can be fixed too, just surface imperfections.
  6. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably about 4500

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ball joints will cost you a grand to have them done so bid as low as u can
  8. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I would give $5000, maybe a little more. If that truck has been taken care of, 209K isn't anything. My 96 has almost 220K and is running strong. The truck by itself is probably a $4500-$5000 unit, plus the plow, probably $3000-$3500 or more new. Check for fuel leaks up on top of the engine, make sure glow plugs and harness are in working order. If that truck was here I'd probably buy it for $5000. My buddy just sold his 85 chevy 1500 4x4 with a 7.5ft hiniker and wings, rebuilt 350 engine, rebuilt tranny and transfer case, brand new interior, pretty nice truck, for $3500, but it's a gas drinking V8. That powerstroke will be awesome to push in.
  9. POPO4995

The front end parts are all new within the last year. He only plows his own driveway and thats it. It's not abused in anyway and most of the miles are highway.
  10. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd offer $5000, and pay up to $5500 if it was me. I've been looking for a truck like that for a while for another mowing truck/snow truck. Being a 350 it will have the solid front axle, so that should carry a plow awesome. I have been pricing plows all week and you will pay about $4000 by the time it's all said and done just for a 7.5ft straight blade.