98 dixie chopper price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J lawn, Dec 24, 2003.

1. J lawn

J lawn LawnSite Member

Merry christmas everyone!

I have found a 98 dixie chopper with the 22 hp Kohler 60 inch deck about 1200 to 1300 hrs, it also has the trac vac with a 6 hp kohler. The price is $3500. It seems like a nice machineand it runs good, but hasalso been well used. I havent been able to run it around cause of the snow. Thanks for any help.

thanks
    jason

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Can you tell us a little about it? Like does it have the extra filters, deluxe seat, OCDC or anything like that? The filters are the most important part because if it has the Donaldson air cleaner and the Amsoil bypass filter they alone could add 1,000 hours to the expected life of the engine.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I would offer $2800, the 22hp is a little on the weak side, but if it is in good condition and the deck isn't beat up that might be a good buy. Also, if the trac vac is in good condition, that helps too

4. MIMAINTAINCE

MIMAINTAINCE LawnSite Member

if it is in port huron, if I remember correctley, it was on ebay a couple of months ago. I dont think it had an hour meter did it? I think the auction started at 3000 or 3500 and he didnt get any bids. so do lbi said. Offer him less. to give u an idea, i bought a 96' Lazer Z 52" 22 hp Kohler w/ 1300 hours and and i paid $2700. It had no trac vac though

5. J lawn

J lawn LawnSite Member

The mower does have the amsoil filter on it. I dont know if it has the donaldson on it or not. I doesnt have a hour meter on it so that makes it a little tough. You never know how much it has been used. The deck it in decent shape a little banged up, but not bad. I dont know if it is the deluxe or not the seat was comfortable but no more so than my woods mower.

thanks
    jason

6. I would offer him$2500.I know its low.But he might be hurting this time of year.The problem is his asking price is high for a 98 dc with that many hours and a 22 kohler.Ztrs seem to get to a max low price and never come down lower no matter what shape they are in.Since it was well used used and a 22 kohler with many hours and you dont know how well it was taken care of.There will be a 50%-50% chance you might have to replace the engine next season.I would give $2500 and no more

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 652, just the vac was $2200 new.

Not a bad deal, the vac is easily worth $1000 if it is in running condition, that little C6HT Kohler 6HP is a great little motor. It is part of the Kohler Command series, not the cheaper line they have to compete with little hondas, etc. It is a true Kohler command, and built like it.

If you value the vac at $1000, you are basically spending $2500 on the chopper, not bad at all if its in reasonable working order.

KB