98 exmark 48 inch Metro

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Shady Brook, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

What kind of deck was put on these units? It has no front baffles, can it take a multch kit? What are the advantages, or disadvantages of this type of deck compared to the new baffled decks? Will I be happy with this unit?

Thanks
    Jay

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jay,

The deck you have was the standard fixed deck for several years. We later implemented the flow control baffles and change the mulch kit to accommodate that change.

The correct mulch kit is p/n MK482. We do offer a bolt in flow control baffle kit when you bagging or side discharging as well. The big difference between your deck and the current design is the baffles are now welded in at the factory. There are other differences but the major items are in the deck design.

With the flow control baffle your deck should exhibit less blow out in dry conditions, more lift and better discharge just like the current design.

When using the correct mulch kit the performance should be similar to that of a new deck as well.

As far as advantage of the old deck, I'm not aware of anything significant. There are some that feel the deck with out baffles will brush hog better but I wouldn't recommend it. In all other aspects the current design should out perform an un-baffled deck.

Thanks

Terry

3. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Thanks alot Terry. Actually I discovered it is a Viking instead of a Metro with a trivantage deck. What is the difference between the Viking and the metro? I thought a Viking was a hydro, shows what I know.

Do you know how much the flow control baffles list for? Also, do they bolt right in, or do I need to drill the deck. Would the flow control baffles be needed in addition to the multch kit, or is the multch kit a stand alone item?

Thanks so much
    Jay

4. eXmark

Shady Brook,

What you have is a Viking 5-spd. Great mower with a wonderful but expensive to manufacture drive system. If it weren't for the cost of the drive system components we'd probably still be building them. It has a true reverse and excellent belt tension in wet conditions.

Your 98 may be pre-drilled for the flow control baffles but if not there is a template that comes with the kit, which makes things much easier.

The flow control baffle is P/N 1-401002 and has a list price of around $70 give or take depending upon the region, freight etc.

The mulch kit and the flow control should be looked at as two completely different systems on your machine. One will not work with the other. So you'll need to remove the blow control baffle if you want to install the mulch kit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. The Viking is a solid machine and should treat you very well.

Thanks

Terry

5. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Terry

You have been a super help! Hey, is there a place where I can get a manual for this machine? I did not purchase it from a dealer, and wonder if I could find one on line to download or order. One more question please. I realize that the bracket for the grass catcher is mounted on the machine at the factory, is there a way to add a scag bracket, or some type of bracket to use a scag setup gobbler? I have three and hate to fork out $200 for another.

Thanks again so very much

Jay

6. eXmark

Shady Brook,

Unfortunately the manuals that are available don't cover the Viking 5 speed. You can e-mail me with your mailing address, and serial number if possible and I'll have a set of manuals sent out at no charge. My e-mail address is terry.eckert@exmark.com or just drop me a line at 800-667-5296.

Thanks

Terry

7. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Your a stud Terry, thanks so much.

Jay