$99 a month

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by willretire@40, May 24, 2005.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

What do you all think about this. I want to make up a flyer saying that we are offering lawn care for $99 a month this includes cut,trim,edge once a week, but it will be a special offer for certain neighborhoods and only on lawns up 1/4 acre. My thinking on this is that i can get alot of customers in one area and have very little drive time. Also it will be billed to a credit card. What do you think i am preparing to be bashed so let me have it.

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

$24.75 per cut unless it's a five-cut month. You might stipulate that $99 covers no more than four cuts or alternately, stipulate that a fifth mowing in a month adds $24.75 to the tab.

If these are small lots and there are very few gates, it sounds reasonable...unless a substantial number of them are good candidates for higher-grade service. There are lots around here no more than a quarter acre owned by people who have a good bit of money. It's just that real estate is incredibly steep in northern VA these days. New homes going for better than half a million might sit on a lot that's 12,000 s.f.

I'd get a good feel for what the competition is doing with prices in this area before doing anything, but on the face of it, it sounds reasonable.

3. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

They way you worded it makes me think that the going rate in that area is higher than that and you are trying to undercut the competition to get more lawns in one area.

Is this the case?

4. willretire@40

from VA

yeah the average cut is $30 a week but i did have a company undercut me and bid $20 on a job b.c they did a huge landscape job for the guy.

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Why don't you advertise $27.50 per week. This way you won't do much damage to the pricing structure in your area and the customer will think they are getting a good price.

Most people think $27.50 per week sounds better than $99 per month.

6. willretire@40

from VA

i already have two accounts on one street in this area and want to get more fast. It is made up of about 300 homes so if i do $99 i am hoping for 8 more customers and then schedule on the same day then me and two other guys could do them in about 2 hours. They should only take 10 min each so therefore i would make $125 an hour and pay them $8-10 an hour. Then i would like to keep on trying this in the same area and also another neighberhood.

7. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Always have to factor in weed trimming time. If they have a bunch of crap in their yards, like some of mine, that price would be too low.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

All I got out of your post is that you'll be leaving close to $7 on the table for each lawn every week. You said $30 is going rate, and $99 divided by 4.3 (more then 4 weeks in some months) is only $23 per cut.

So every month you'll be GIVING AWAY one FREE cut to each and every customer!!!

I can see giving ONE free cut for the whole season to each new customer, but certainly not a free cut EVERY month!

As DennisF said, maybe drop the price down to $27.50 per cut. This way you're still beating the competition, but it's okay because you'll have the efficiency of doing many in one neighborhood.

But I wouldn't cut $30 lawns for $23.

9. willretire@40

from VA

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont think a few dollars by one guy will ruin any pricing structure of any area, but how will doing this help you live up to your screen name????? It wont.