99 Chevy silverado 4 wheel drive...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mattfromNY, Sep 15, 2007.

1. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you know of common problems with the push button 4 wheel drive on the '99 Chevy Silverado? The only way I can put my truck into 4 wheel is with 'Auto'. The 4 wheel High, and 4 wheel low buttons do not engage the 4 wheel drive. I've been told as long as 4 wheel is still working with the 'Auto' button (It does work that way), It is more than likely just the buttons gone bad. I dont want to end up replacing parts that arent going to fix the problem. Anyone know if this is common??
    Thanks in advance:waving: ,
    Matt.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't imagine that 2 buttons went out at the same time. But that's all I can add.

3. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

had a similar type of problem with my 2000 Silverado, just had the 4WD system checked/serviced since it was under warranty at the time - think it was some electrical sensor issue or something..... no big mechanical failure or anything.... it was a WHILE ago tho.....good luck bud..

Jason

4. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Mine has the service 4wd light come on all the time. Sometimes its hard to get it to click in and out of 4wd. I usually have to turn the truck off to get it to reset the computer then push the buttons. Ive read on fourms that its somthing to do with the electrical connections behind the dash but i dont know. Hope you figure it out!

5. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

My '03 went through a couple solenoids on the transfer case, and had some service bulletin out to reflash the computer on it.

6. kf4pbm

kf4pbm LawnSite Member
    from FL

i had a 99 silvy with the same problem. change the button. if that doesnt work its ok because those are prone to going bad anyways.

7. mattfromNY

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
    The buttons didnt all go bad at the same time, 4 wheel low went first, but I didn't use it much anyway, so I never fixed it. Now that 4 wheel high isn't working, it will be tough to plow this winter in 'Auto'.
    I'll let you all know what I find when I tear into it.
    Matt.

8. kf4pbm

kf4pbm LawnSite Member
    from FL

thats the same mine did. they started acting up, had to push really hard a couple times to get them to work. then just died all together.

9. mattfromNY

When you changed the buttons, did it fix the problem??
    Thanks.

10. kf4pbm

kf4pbm LawnSite Member
    from FL

that fixed mine. the tranny shop couldnt figure it out at first because it appeared that nothing was wrong.