$99 Enclosed cargo trailer alarm system

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Davids Lawncare, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Davids Lawncare

Davids Lawncare LawnSite Member

I just finished installing my alarm on my enclosed trailer and thought i would post a video of how i did it. Its was fairly simple I just used an car alarm with a few magnetic door switches. HOPE this is help. Did it for under $100.:cool2:

Part 1: http://youtu.be/-AzenSPDJqE

Part 2: http://youtu.be/W8v1rcTlOyg

2. Davids Lawncare

Here are the Supplies I bought:nono:

traileralarmsupply.jpg

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

Great idea, I never thought you can install one in a trailer.

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

How those the battery stay charge:waving:

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

My guess would be charge it 4 times a year or something like that. Remember trailer brake batteries I charge twice a year.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Davids Lawncare

Yes A good battery will last for months. I'm planning on installing an cheap solar panel charger along with a power inverter for charging cell phones and maybe small light.

Trailer brake battery?

7. djagusch

from MN

If your trailer has electric brakes it has a little 5x5x3" plastic box around the tounge usually. Inside there is a battery to actuate the brakes. The truck just sends a signal to the trailer and the trailer battery pwrs the brakes. The battery needs to be charged once in awhile. I've found once in the spring and again in aug works for us.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

How you can tell yours is charging is plug it in, start the truck, and with a multi meter set for 12v, check the battery and it should show 13v-14v. At rest, the battery will only show between 12v-13v.

If it's not charging, check to see that the lead out of the trucks plug for "12v" is hot when it's running. If it is, then maybe your trailer is not setup for that wire to charge the battery??
    :waving:

9. djagusch

from MN

That is correct also. My trucks do charge the battery but not the irrigation van. Also 3 trailers sit for 5 months of the year, so that's the need of charging in the spring. Mid season is to make sure they are all good since they can go bad, we are not checking for charging often, and they can sit at times. Charging them doesn't take much time over a weekend.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a great idea. Thanks Davids!